FORUMS: list search recent posts

Web Basics - Newb - Stationary background, scroll bars and image size

COW Forums : Web Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Christopher KeyWeb Basics - Newb - Stationary background, scroll bars and image size
by on Jul 27, 2012 at 8:24:18 pm

Hi,

I just got a new Imac as a gift and when I saw my website I realized it needs a makeover. What I want to do is change my site so that the background image, header and upper navigation stays fixed in place, with scroll bars in the main content area and sidebars when necessary. Is this just CSS?

Also I want to make a background image that will extend the width of whatever display it happens to be seen on - how wide does such an image have to be?

http://www.christopherallenkey.com

Christopher Key

Return to posts index

Matt GeierRe: Web Basics - Newb - Stationary background, scroll bars and image size
by on Jul 28, 2012 at 7:11:37 am

Having the things defined for your site will depend on a few factors.
Browsers on mobile devices like phones won't be the same necessarily vs tablets, monitor screen resolutions etc....

You can certainly define a size and most things will "resize" on the browsing app.

You can do this with html code and/or CSS code in most cases. Do you have a graphics program to resize your images with?

Even though apps are built on standards, they can still interpret differently. Firefox vs internet explorer vs safari vs etc etc ....

You need to define what problems you see in the different apps and build your CSS code to meet the various differences.

Let us know more about what sizes you want for your images and details about your browser or other browsers and how they show your site and I'm sure more suggestions will folllow.

Scroll bars can be done in CSS and a few other methods as well. They used to show on frames, but you should think about how you'll want the pages to show content and build the code either on the page itself, or in CSS file, etc etc..

Happy to help more if you want.

Matt Geier
(Video Networking Solutions Expert)
(Creative Design Workflow Consultant)
(Social Media Networks Consultant)
(Technical Video Industry Sales Consultant)

Return to posts index

Christopher KeyRe: Web Basics - Newb - Stationary background, scroll bars and image size
by on Aug 1, 2012 at 5:19:18 pm

Hey Matt - Thanks for the reply. It seems to me that most websites have changed their designs over the last few years, I assume to accommodate smaller screens - my goal if it is possible - is to have a site structure that is primarily designed for larger monitors (since I do video for a living), but can adapt.

I actually saw a page on the cow a couple weeks back that had nice photo as a full screen background. The background, header and upper navigation remained stationary and as I was reading scroll bars appeared in the main content area and sidebars. It was clean and simple - and although pages load faster without background images - I can use them to promote my photography.

On my site I've been using a plug in by project seven to make base pages from (CSS page builder magic). All I really want to do is change the way the pages operate and make a better background image. I really appreciate your offer of help, I really want to get better at web design as I work on my sites

Christopher Key

Return to posts index

Christopher KeyRe: Web Basics - Newb - Stationary background, scroll bars and image size
by on Aug 1, 2012 at 8:06:53 pm

Hey Matt,

I forgot to mention - yes I do have a graphic editing app - as a matter of fact I have the whole Adobe CS6 collection - I've got the tools just need to know what I'm doing with them

Christopher Key

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]