FORUMS: list search recent posts

Dreamweaver Website on a host server using Wordpress as a CMS

COW Forums : Web Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John MitchellDreamweaver Website on a host server using Wordpress as a CMS
by on May 22, 2012 at 3:10:14 am

Hi Guys

Have searched this site but although there are some answers not the ones I understand...so be gentle.

Am designing a Community Website using Dreamweaver CS5.5 and while I am still alive will be the webmaster of that site.

My question...the Hosting company (Westnet) uses/has Wordpress & Joomla available as CMS....is there any advantage/imperative to using Wordpress to update or maintain the site when it is up and running?

Am totally new to wordpress so is a steep learning curve.

Thanks in advance.

John M

Return to posts index

Curtis ThompsonRe: Dreamweaver Website on a host server using Wordpress as a CMS
by on May 22, 2012 at 3:17:30 am

Hello...

Wordpress is relatively easy to use wrt maintaining a website. Doing custom templates takes a bit more experience, but if you find a stock one you like, then you should find it pretty easy to work with.

Not knowing your comfort level, it's hard to be more specific.

Sitruc

Return to posts index

John MitchellRe: Dreamweaver Website on a host server using Wordpress as a CMS
by on May 22, 2012 at 3:33:10 am

Hi Curtis...am becoming very confident with DW and have nearly finalised my design....just putting in all the final bits such as image galleries ETC.

Being mostly retired I can afford the time to learn which is a distinct luxury...however, and please correct me if I have the wrong end of the stick, my understanding of Wordpress as a CMS is that it is used to add new pages to a site using themes and then adding content.
Or, can it be used to add/update existing content on a DW designed site?

John M

Return to posts index

Curtis ThompsonRe: Dreamweaver Website on a host server using Wordpress as a CMS
by on May 22, 2012 at 3:49:27 am

Hello...

No - you cannot manage an existing site wi Wordpress. All content is created and handled by that app, so you need to work in Wordpress to manage content.

You can manage your theme pages in dreamweaver, though. They are just php, JavaScript and CSS files.

Does that make sense?

Sitruc

Return to posts index

John MitchellRe: Dreamweaver Website on a host server using Wordpress as a CMS
by on May 22, 2012 at 4:00:15 am

Hi Curtis...yes thank you ,that was all I needed to know.

All my Googling had come up with various answers, but not to my specific question, but the way the 'guy' at the new hosting company spoke I would need to use Wordpress even though I explained I was using DW for the design and production.

Thank you very much for that...I now know where I am going...I think.

Cheers

John M

Return to posts index

by on May 22, 2012 at 4:12:01 am

Hello...

You can download and install a variety of Wordpress themes - any compatible theme is all contained in a single folder and has the same files. Then you can alter those to your heart's content and upload them via FTP to the Wordpress install.

(you can also edit theme files via a simple editor in Wordpress itself, but it's easier to do that offline in your local HTML editor and then just upload 'em)

If you do that, it's always easier to try to find a theme similar to what you want your site to look like, although you really can make any design into a theme with enough time and practice.

Sitruc

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]