FORUMS: list search recent posts

Ten Lamest Pageview Come-ons

COW Forums : Web Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bob ColeTen Lamest Pageview Come-ons
by on Nov 8, 2011 at 2:33:10 pm

Got your attention? That's the point. I just want to rant about the "Ten Best XXX Ever" Gallery trend.

Many websites are attempting to lure viewers by piquing our curiosity about the Ten Best or Ten Worst of anything. In order to satisfy one's curiosity, the viewer has to click through a gallery of images, often a time-consuming process.

The first few times I succumbed to this, the images were related to the list, e.g. the Ten Most Important Architects, or the Ten Best Dressed Women at the Oscars. But now, it is clear that the "gallery of bests" is a ploy. The revealing instance was in today's Tech Republic's Ten Worst Tech Names. It could have been a simple list, but that would've been a ten-second page view. They turned it into a gallery which would probably take at least two minutes to load and view.

Just to keep my curiosity from wasting any more of my time, I think I'll unsubscribe from any email newsletter that does this. I might be able to live without knowing the Ten Lamest Pageview come-ons - ever!

Rant over.

Bob C

Return to posts index

Fernando MolRe: Ten Lamest Pageview Come-ons
by on Nov 8, 2011 at 3:54:26 pm

That's a way to relate a brand with a bad experience.

I think the reason behind this kind of "sites" is because that behavior can be translated into numbers. A total amount of hits that stayed X time in your site. A proof on paper that the sites has visitors. However, as you mentioned, that doesn't measures the quality of the experience.

"Don't be evil" - Google

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved