FORUMS: list search recent posts

Pagination without using a database or cms?

COW Forums : Web Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jessica ChapmanPagination without using a database or cms?
by on Oct 11, 2011 at 11:59:32 pm

Hi guys!

I'm having a hard time trying to get my head around the best way to have pagination on a static html website (with php includes). Unfortunately I don't have enough time to learn how to use a database or cms for this website - it needs to finished soon for school. :(

- There are 80 student profiles.

- I am using the <?php include 'example.php'?> command to load the header and footer in each student page.

- Each student page has it's own jquery slideshow, along with some written content.

On each student page, I would like to have pagination. Similar to this approach would be really awesome:

But really, I'm not fussed, just as long as I can have some numbers which link to each page through a script or something.

Basically, I want an easier approach than having to manually link every button on each student profile page to go to the next/previous student pages.

Does anyone have any ideas/suggestions how I could go about doing this?

I would be so very very grateful for any help! :D

Return to posts index

Curtis ThompsonRe: Pagination without using a database or cms?
by on Oct 20, 2011 at 9:08:12 pm

any pagination will need to be aware of a start and end number to render itself - if you knew that or could render that in a separate page, you could do an iframe (not so glamorous) or a php include in the specific pages that shows the page controls and numbers....

hard to give a more detailed suggestion w/o knowing more about your project...

Return to posts index

demetri tashieRe: Pagination without using a database or cms?
by on Nov 19, 2011 at 4:04:20 am

hi jessica,

if this response is not too late, i have some suggestions. i don't see why this can't be done with a combination of php includes and javascript.

it is hard to tell from your description if this is what you meant, but i would certainly consider the student's pages being includes also. then through javascript you can have the button clicks load in a new, and correct, student page, as well as change the copy on the home page to take care of your 'pagination'.

you can see a real simple working example here

the main html page just has 5 divs:
a header and footer div which load in content via php includes
there is a div to contain the 'page number'/pagination information
a div for the actual page content to load into via php includes,
and a div for the buttons

some pretty simple javascript in the header changes the contnet div and the page number div via innerHTML

there are other ways, but i just made an array to hold all the page content incudes ( this would be your student page information)

and just as Curtis suggests, there is a variable there which is used to keep track of/be aware of what page is laoding in/ what page number it is. then going to a next or previous student page would be easy.

this is the javascript i used. i didn't bother to put any limits on the button clicks to keep them from going beyond their bounds, and i only have 3 actual pages in the array - therefor you will see 'undefined' in the content area div for pages missing from the array.
var i=1;

var myArray= new Array();

function next()
document.getElementById("pageNum").innerHTML= "Page "+i+""
document.getElementById("main").innerHTML= myArray[i];

function prev()
document.getElementById("pageNum").innerHTML= "Page "+i+""
document.getElementById("main").innerHTML= myArray[i];

anyway, i hope this helps or gives you ideas opn how you can make it work for you. if you need anything exaplained, just ask.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved