FORUMS: list search recent posts

Best Way to get Website noticed?

COW Forums : Web Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nick Freeman
Best Way to get Website noticed?
on Sep 15, 2011 at 11:49:28 pm

I need a good service to get my website at the top or near the top when somebody does an internet search. Say for instance somebody does a search for "san diego surfboards" how do I get my name to the top? I'm willing to pay for it with a cheap service but free service would be best. Somebody said seomoz.com was the best but its basic service is $100 a month. $50 a month would be better for me.

Return to posts index

Fernando Mol
Re: Best Way to get Website noticed?
on Sep 16, 2011 at 2:10:28 am

"I'm willing to pay for it with a cheap service but free service would be best."

You pay cheap, you get cheap.

Return to posts index

Nick Freeman
on Sep 16, 2011 at 2:19:27 am

Well how much are we talking? And what services are the best?

Return to posts index

Mads Nybo Jørgensen
on Sep 16, 2011 at 1:02:19 pm

Hey Nick,

With all due respect; incompetence only gets you to nowhere.

You can easily spend $50/month, but it is cheaper and more time effective to go down to the local street corner and shout "FREE $1 BILLS!!!".

Why do you want to get your website noticed?
What are you offering people visiting?
And what kind of return on investment are you looking for?
I.e. if your turnover is $50,000 pa, then you could easily spend $4,000 just on marketing and advertising.

This money might be used better in a split between face-2-face networking groups and an intern/agency doing Social Media Networking for you.

There are far too many services that offers to put you top of Google, without being able to guarantee a satisfactory delivery. Like any other "display add" campaign, it is really about how much money you can afford to spend on getting to the top - and as Fernando said, if you want cheap, you get cheap.

Your original question could possibly be better answered over on the Cow's Social Media forum :-)

All the Best
Mads
London, UK

Please do visit our faceBook page here: http://www.facebook.com/MacMillionProductions

Mac Million Ltd. - Digital Media Production
Blog: http://macmillionltd.blogspot.com

Return to posts index

Fernando Mol
on Sep 16, 2011 at 3:43:47 pm

The cheapest thing you can get is to hire a professional web designer that understand SEO, give yourself the time to create a site with amazing content and give it some time to attract visitors.

There are many tricks to be noticed online, for example you can add videos to youtube with good content relative to your site and links to it. But, you need to actually produce videos with good content. That may not be cheap.

Social Networking, as Mads says, are on vogue right now, but they are changing every day (Facebook just re-structure themselves like a month ago) and it's a full time job, that's why those services are not cheap. But it's a hell of a fun to learn how to do it if you want to invest your time there.

The question is like "How much does a party cost?". There are hundreds of variables that can change the budget from $50 to $50,000.

But again, for a start, be sure you have a great site (content) designed by a pro that understands SEO.

I hope this helps

Return to posts index

Dave Po
I disagree.
on Sep 22, 2011 at 4:24:00 pm

I respectfully disagree with @Mads. I have seen first hand how proper website SEO can help a video freelancer.

Specifically, I know someone (a video freelancer) whos main source of clients are directly from organic searches. He ranks at the top couple spots for relevant local searches.

As a full time freelancer myself (video production, web development, and photography) I have been studying as well as implementing SEO techniques to further my business. Within the first week of starting SEO with a new website I was ranking in the first 2 pages of Google and received my first call for a job while only having two pages of the site finished.

As with anything though, it takes a lot of work and know-how to do and to do it right.

If you have any more interest, I am a freelance web designer/developer ;)
Feel free to shoot me an email (dave@desmoinesfreelancer.com) if you'd like to talk more.

Return to posts index

Mads Nybo Jørgensen
Re: I disagree - well first 2 pages, is not top of Google - is it?
on Sep 22, 2011 at 5:24:30 pm

Hey Dave,

[Dave Po] "I respectfully disagree with @Mads. I have seen first hand how proper website SEO can help a video freelancer."

With all due respect; you are trying to make a sell so you are not impartial, are you? However, if you can guarantee to put someone at the top ten of Google and keep them there for $50/month, then please sign me up as a client too - but I will not accept silly search terms such as "Video Production Gray's Inn Road London near the corner of restaurant serving beef on Sunday mornings between 6 and 7 am only" ;-)

As I also said "incompetence only gets you to nowhere" and you are clearly smart enough in doing your own SEO rather than paying someone for it - so well done you for your success with that. But this thread started with Nick wanting to pay cheap money for potentially a lot of work, which could easily be substituted by using Social Media through sites such as Youtube and Facebook.

my 5p

All the Best
Mads
London, UK

Please do visit our faceBook page here: http://www.facebook.com/MacMillionProductions

Mac Million Ltd. - Digital Media Production
Blog: http://macmillionltd.blogspot.com

Return to posts index

Dave Po
Re: I disagree - well first 2 pages, is not top of Google - is it?
on Sep 22, 2011 at 5:52:38 pm

Trying to make a sale? Yes, to some extant. Got me! :P

... but I can offer very inexpensive SEO help. So I am at least a little relevant in doing so :)

Instead of charging monthly, which I think is a bit ridiculous and somewhat of a sham, I believe it's important to build your website correctly off the bat. If you are set up for SEO, and give it proper attention and thought you can to very well.

I will agree with you on your social media point. Social media is very inexpensive and can be very effective if done right. Social media also works better for certain demographics. For example, wedding photography and facebook go VERY well together. Lots of young to middle age people. Also, when you photograph a friends wedding for cheap/free they share it with all their local friends, who are also part of the same demographic. Now on the other hand, if you are trying to book professional, well paying video gigs, Facebook doesn't work quite as well. Businesses aren't usually looking on facebook for professional services, especially if they are from out of state companies coming in for a production.

Now I'm sure I can't get you ranked well for the search "video production" (at least without a LOT of work), but I could easily get you ranked well locally (ie: "your-state video production") ...at least as long as you don't live in CA ;)

Two suggestions if you ever attempt SEO:
1- Go local (if that's your demographic). It's WAY easier than competing nationally.
2- Content is key. Be weary of paying someone for "SEO" unless they are designing your site or building good content.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]