FORUMS: list search recent posts

Site looks different on a Mac than it does on a PC

COW Forums : Web Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ted CacciolaSite looks different on a Mac than it does on a PC
by on Jul 5, 2011 at 2:36:20 pm

Does anyone know what I did wrong with my code to my site? The site looks fine on a PC in any browser even Safari for PC, but when I look at the site on a Mac the letters overlap & the APDiv is not centered. For the background image I left out the name because I want the website name to be private.
Here is the code:
body {
background-image: url(########%20#######%20########%20Background.jpg);

#apDiv1 {
#apDiv1 {
font-size: 36px;
alignment-adjust: middle;
text-align: center;
#apDiv1 p {
font-family: Vijaya, Adobe Arabic, Adobe Garamond Pro, David;
alignment-adjust: central;

Here is the code for the text which overlaps using a Mac but not a PC:

Suppose that you hold a diversified portfolio consisting of 20 different stocks, with $7,500 invested in each of the stocks. The portfolio beta is equal to 1.12. You have decided to sell one of the stocks in your portfolio with a beta equal to 1.0 for $7,500 and use the proceeds to buy another stock for your portfolio. Assume that the new stocks beta is equal to 1.75. Calculate your portfolios new beta.

Return to posts index

Mike SmithRe: Site looks different on a Mac than it does on a PC
by on Jul 5, 2011 at 7:53:05 pm

What's it like in FF on Mac?

We can't really see any errors you may have in html from those snippets. If you have html errors each browser will use whatever rules its creators decided to try to interpret what you meant - and those rules won't be consistent from browser to browser.

But on the css front you appear to declare #apDiv1 twice, with contradictory values for position. In theory, the later declaration should take precedence - does it in every browser ?

Also alignment-adjust is css3 only, and applies to inline elements - not block-level elements like divs.

So there's nothing shown there to center the div rather than the text within the div - standard technique now I think is margin-left:auto; and margin-right:auto ;

Return to posts index

Alan SmithRe: Site looks different on a Mac than it does on a PC
by on Jul 7, 2011 at 12:27:26 pm

Can you post a link to the site so that we can look at source code to offer suggestions.

Alan Smith

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved