FORUMS: list search recent posts

FLV, F4V, SWF Which format is best?

COW Forums : Web Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Georgienne Bradley
FLV, F4V, SWF Which format is best?
on Mar 31, 2011 at 12:13:59 am

We are working with a MacBook Pro. We are not very web savvy.

We are trying to add a few hundred video clips to a nonprofit website. We want the clips to look great, but will be small in size. It is important the the video look good. We have found a program that will convert from our uber large MOV files to Flash, but we are not sure of the pros and cons of each of the available formats.

FLV -Flash Video Format (*.flv)
FLV - H.264 Flash video H.264 and acc codec (*.flv)
F4V - HD format coding with H.264 (*.f4v)
SWF -SWF Format Multimedia format (*.swf)

Which is the best option?

Thanks so very much in advance.

Georgienne Bradley
Sea Save - Imaging Foundation
It's Your Ocean, Do Something About It!

Return to posts index

Curtis Thompson
Re: FLV, F4V, SWF Which format is best?
on Mar 31, 2011 at 2:57:37 am

hello...

it depends on your content - you should also consider rendering other formats as well, such as ogg or webm so that you are covered for non-flash visitors as well...

(if possible, that is - if you have a few hundred then that might be too much to take on)

as for which one is better, it really depends on which produces the smallest file size and best quality - i would probably start with flv, though - but if you want the hd quality, then you might need that. pick one movie and run it through all of 'em to see which you happen to like best...

hope that helps...

sitruc

Return to posts index

Georgienne Bradley
on Apr 23, 2011 at 5:35:46 am

Curtis,

Thanks for your help! I was hoping to get more input and hear what people are using for video database formats, thus my delay in responding. I appreciate your taking the time to answer me.

Georgienne Bradley
Sea Save - Imaging Foundation
It's Your Ocean, Do Something About It!

Return to posts index

Curtis Thompson
on Apr 23, 2011 at 3:54:43 pm

hello...

i think that's because it depends a lot on the medium and project at hand. for example - when it comes to web graphics, somebody might ask "which is best - jpg, png or gif?" the answer would be that it depends on the file. do i need transparency? is it large in dimension? is it line art or a photo? what's the background going to be behind it? is it square or a custom shape? based on all those answers (and others), i'd pick the best of the formats to meet those specific needs...

so "best" is relative to the media and project at hand in most cases. people have preferences (in my example above i'd always use png if i could), but that might not be the best option all the time, so to say "you should always use png for files" is not good advice...

hope that helps a bit.

sitruc

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]