FORUMS: list search recent posts

Dreamweaver Tutorial for Video Galleries?

COW Forums : Web Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lillian YoungDreamweaver Tutorial for Video Galleries?
by on Jan 8, 2011 at 4:58:44 pm

Are there any straight-forward video tutorials for building a website on Dreamweaver for VIDEO heavy content?

I am disappointed as a subscriber that there aren't any Dreamweaver tutorials that focus on building a website to feature several videos. All of their tutorials are for mastering Dreamweaver, they focus on photo galleries or posting ONE video.

None provide a tutorial built around posting several videos that will instantly load without a Quicktime "Q" or Flash icon on devices that do not play Flash.

Right now that's what I have. I have a page with a QT video that until cached, may display a static Q, and another page with an externally obtained player that plays a playlist of videos within a Flash player. Both can run off potential visitors.

I just want the videos laid out on the page in a creative way, and preferably not via a player that I have to purchase, preferably not something that bogs down the page or causes me to have to lower the video quality to crap for fast playback.

Any tutorials would e appreciated because I am not a web designer, and need heavy hand holding to pull it off.

Return to posts index

Fernando MolRe: Dreamweaver Tutorial for Video Galleries?
by on Jan 10, 2011 at 5:35:54 pm

If you want to add a "poster frame" to your Quicktime movie, so it shows only a preview of it until you click it, and you need to add the source of your movie in the href parameter.

A full explanation of this can be found on Abram's tutorial on embedding Quicktime moves.

I wonder what other functionalities you want from a video site.

Return to posts index

Kelly JohnsonRe: Dreamweaver Tutorial for Video Galleries?
by on Jan 17, 2011 at 11:11:56 pm

Unless you're on a fiber-optic connection, having more than three videos is probably going to choke slightly and you'll get either a QuickTime Q or the blank frame on Flash. Unless, as somewhat mentioned, you put a first image on the first frame, and then the video on the second frame (all this in Flash) or utilize a poster.

There isn't a good reason to instantly start more than one video upon entering a page. At least, from the user experience point of view. Too chaotic, no focus on the page. Now, if you're using some kind of video wall effect, then it's probably better to combine several vids into one larger wall and load that one video to avoid multiple http requests.

As for specifically using Dreamweaver to build a page, you might also look into using JQuery for a carousel type of interface and of course Dreamweaver to pull it all together but as great as Dreamweaver is, there's a certain point where actual coding can't be replaced by pull-down menu items.

If you have a site example, that might help us point you in a good direction.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved