FORUMS: list search recent posts

server for video that will be on my Web site

COW Forums : Web Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Victoria Murphy
server for video that will be on my Web site
on Nov 28, 2010 at 6:44:50 pm

I am designing a Web site--my first. I have a Web master that creating it in WordPress. I need to have a two-minute video clip in it. I have permission to use the music in the video clip on my site, but not to post it publicly. Too, the footage is mini-DV, so the image quality is less than what we are accustomed to viewing.

I need a server that can host my video without it being available for public viewing. I would like it to be as high a quality image as possible. I want to host it as inexpensively as possible. (One of the purposes of the site is to help me raise the money to complete the video. It is a "cinedance"--think contemporary dance and video having a baby.)

Do you know of a server I could use for this? Is there a way to use YouTube or Vimeo and not have it available for public viewing?

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Fernando Mol
Re: server for video that will be on my Web site
on Nov 29, 2010 at 4:15:25 pm

Wordpress have a large number of plug-ins that support video.

To play a video (or an audio file) you don't need any external site or service, unless you are streaming. Almost any hosting plan will allow you to upload a video. Use the plug-in to add a player.

I hope this helps

Return to posts index

Victoria Murphy
on Nov 29, 2010 at 5:20:17 pm

Hi Fernando. I do want to stream the video.
Victoria

Return to posts index

Fernando Mol
on Nov 29, 2010 at 5:35:21 pm

Neither Youtube or Vimeo stream their videos. They are downloaded.

Are you sure you know what streaming is?

If you are sure and you want to stream, you need to pay for a streaming server. Ask your hosting provider for a plan.

Return to posts index

Victoria Murphy
on Nov 29, 2010 at 6:12:51 pm

My Web master says the I should "progressive download" the video. Does that make sense to you?

Return to posts index

Fernando Mol
on Nov 29, 2010 at 7:41:21 pm

That's different than a streaming. Streaming video is transmitted live and it's not stored in your hard drive.

A progressive download can show you the video that already has been downloaded without having to wait until it finis the transfer.

Use a Wordpress plug-in to place your video, and store it in your site.

Does this helps?

Return to posts index

Victoria Murphy
on Nov 30, 2010 at 10:05:15 pm

Based on what I learned yesterday with your, Alan and my Web master's help is to upload the video to Vimeo.

Thanks for your help.

Return to posts index

Alan Smith
on Nov 29, 2010 at 9:44:14 pm

Wordpress plugins are great to deliver the video. I'm assuming you are on shared hosting and are paying for storage/bandwidth or are on an "unlimited" hosting plan. If either is true, I would recommend looking at using a CDN for your video distribution. You will get better response time and faster "progressive downloads" to your views.

Most are pretty inexpensive, but Amazon has just opened their network for free. They give you a certain amount of storage and bandwidth to use for free. If you end up using more than the allotment, then you are only billed for usage. Pretty slick way to do CDN and you get the structure and backbone of Amazon.

Check out Amazon Web Services.

There are Wordpress plugins designed to help implement their services for delivery. It is an excellent and affordable solution.

Alan Smith
Media317
http://media317.net

Return to posts index

Victoria Murphy
on Nov 29, 2010 at 10:45:41 pm

Alan,
As the day progresses I keep learning more and more about this stuff. (CDN - content delivery network -- who knew?) I just learned that if I join vimeo @ $60/year, I can store my video there and not have it be available publicly. I can afford that amount. Can I expect reasonably good image quality there, would you happen to know?
Thanks.

Return to posts index

Alan Smith
on Dec 1, 2010 at 9:15:07 pm

Vimeo has a much better encoding than YouTube. You will get significantly better quality with Vimeo and that would make a good transition until you need the CDN. The price is worth the ease of use. I can't complain about Vimeo, good option.

Alan Smith
Media317

Return to posts index

Victoria Murphy
on Dec 1, 2010 at 9:35:21 pm

Thanks. I tried to upload to Vimeo (I joined the plus service) last night and it got aborted. I will try again soon. If I have questions re how to best compress my video, etc., that I can't get answered by them, may I ask you?

Return to posts index

Alan Smith
on Dec 2, 2010 at 7:21:09 pm

Absolutely. What are you using for compression? On a Mac or PC? What settings are you using? HD or SD?

Alan Smith
Media317

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]