FORUMS: list search recent posts

WordPress BBS & User Login Example

COW Forums : Web Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Clint Milner
WordPress BBS & User Login Example
on Nov 24, 2010 at 4:11:18 pm

Hi All,

A possible client has asked for a user-editable page that includes user logins as well as a bulletin board for selling stuff.

Basically it's to be used as an online community for residence of an apartment complex.

The client would be the administrator, so I just need to get things set up and then passed over and I thought WordPress.org would be the best tool for this job.

Can anyone recommend some plugins, tutorials or working examples?

Thank you,
Clint

Adobe CS4 Master Suite
Vista Ultimate 64 SP1
Intel Core i7 920 @ 3.60GHz
12 GB DDR3 RAM
NVidia Quadro FX 3700
Matrox RT.X2 LE Capture Card
4 TB RAID 5

Return to posts index

Richard Williams
Re: WordPress BBS & User Login Example
on Nov 24, 2010 at 8:39:07 pm

HI Clint,

Having just finished a large company website using wordpress, i would say that Wordpress sounds like the tool for you here. Previously i had avoided wordpress, having not understood it very well and not really taking the time to look into it, but ive got to say im a convert now... It is VERY VERY easy to use once you figure out what is going on and there is loads of support out there for WP.

The first thing to do is install wordpress up on your sever and log in yourself. You can go to the theme tab within wordpress, and search for a theme that best suits the clients needs. THere are millions of templates out there, i like to google stuffon wordpress, just always put wp, or wordpress before your search criteria... ie wp themes, wp tables, wordpress graphs etc...

Nearly every plugin comes with instructions, and screenshots on how to install and how to use, again most things are free and well supported.

Editing wordpress can be a little bit stressful sometimes, Dreamweaver CS5 makes life a little easier, but honestly you do need to have a relative understanding of PHP to go through some of the coding to alter the look or feel, although a good template will give you some editable option in it to customise the look better. magpress is a good site to google, lots of good editable templates there. Again, google can be very useful tool on how to ... in wordpress.

Get started on it, then if you have any questions you can drop me a line and ill help. it feels a little restrictive at first but once you get to grips with it youll start to use it more and more im sure.

Richard Williams
p.s. Please remember to rate our post replies and tick if solved. Also, please remember that we here are NOT employed by Adobe, we do this out of love and fun, so its always nice to recieve a Please and Thank You! :o)

Return to posts index

Clint Milner
Re: WordPress BBS & User Login Example
on Nov 25, 2010 at 8:57:19 am

Hi Richard,

Thanks for the post and advice... It does seem like it'll do the job from what I've looked at.

Like you said, the learning curve may be a little steep, but it seems like a great tool because it does make dynamic development so much easier.

I'll go that route and let you know if I hit any snags.

Many thanks,
Clint

Adobe CS4 Master Suite
Vista Ultimate 64 SP1
Intel Core i7 920 @ 3.60GHz
12 GB DDR3 RAM
NVidia Quadro FX 3700
Matrox RT.X2 LE Capture Card
4 TB RAID 5

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved