FORUMS: list search recent posts

PowerPoint-like Web Design

COW Forums : Web Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mike WeinerPowerPoint-like Web Design
by on Nov 9, 2010 at 7:11:15 pm

I want to create a template that I can use over and over again. I need 4 components:

1) Transcripts/Subtitle/Captions window
text of the video/notes

2) Video Window
where you watch the video, and this corresponds to the slide you have up

3) PowerPoint Window
this can be the current slide you want to see, or a jpg/png/tiff of a slide, etc., and determines the video that plays

4) Slide List
a list of all the slides that can be viewed

What program would be best suited for helping to set up this template? What are the advantages/disadvantages of that program?

Thanks,
Mike

Return to posts index

Fernando MolRe: PowerPoint-like Web Design
by on Nov 14, 2010 at 4:21:12 am

Do you have any previous experience working on the web?

Return to posts index

Mike WeinerRe: PowerPoint-like Web Design
by on Nov 15, 2010 at 2:14:33 pm

extremely basic a long time ago.

Return to posts index

by on Nov 30, 2010 at 3:29:32 pm

I use Dreamweaver because... just because I started there.

It has some good tools and widgets and Adobe recently added an HTML5 video player widget.

Pro: It USUALLY keeps the code clean. It's tools and widgets can get you out of many common needs. If you are not a "revolutionary" thinker in therms of navigation and interaction, it will work fine.

Cons: It USUALLY gives you garbage code, terrible to debug. This happens in almost any WYSWYG software for the web. But I have seeing that if you try to work with it as you do with Word you'll end up having a CSS mess. It also sometimes leaves some garbage code when you place and delete elements.

I haven't used other software to do web design, but sometimes I get sites to be fixed and they are always much more dirty in code therms.

You will find that with almost any software for the web you'll end with problems when you add multimedia interactivity. It can be a messy learning curve, but DW can be a good starting point.

Here's a video from Adobe TV.

You may want to do a better research. Some other software like Photoshop, InDesign or even PowerPoint can export web pages. Very limited messed, but also very simple to create.

I hope this helps.

Return to posts index

Jason CanonRe: PowerPoint-like Web Design
by on Dec 1, 2010 at 8:30:36 pm

I would choose a Content Management System (CMS) like Joomla, Drupal, or even WordPress; all are free of charge! Each of them provides almost infinite flexibility in terms of templates that are available free of charge and extensions that add all of the functions you described again without cost to you.

Jason Canon
Canon Owners Exchange
http://canon.org

Return to posts index

by on Dec 1, 2010 at 10:04:23 pm

if we decide to go this route, how much on the programming side would it take? i need to start learning languages, but unfortunately I only know English...i don't know Drupal, CSS, ActionScript, Joomla, any kind of CMS, etc.

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Richard WilliamsRe: PowerPoint-like Web Design
by on Dec 1, 2010 at 10:09:53 pm

here's a little thing you might like to check out... my info is from previous experience but not recent, things might have changed but you might like to check it out.

Open office, the open source free alternative to microsoft office, has something very similar to powerpoint...

If you are handy with powerpoint, you will find it VERY similar but with more functionality...

Now there definately used to be an option within it to save your slideshow as a flash movie.... embeded ito an html container and stuck on a server... you have yourself a fully functioning flash website built from within powerpoint.

Not how most of us would do it, but it might be worth a look for you. Sorry if this info is no longer relevant, i havent got time to download openoffice and check for you, but if you do check it out please report back on what you found if it is useful.

Thanks

Richard Williams
p.s. Please remember to rate our post replies and tick if solved. Also, please remember that we here are NOT employed by Adobe, we do this out of love and fun, so its always nice to recieve a Please and Thank You! :o)

Return to posts index

by on Dec 2, 2010 at 3:24:36 pm

Ok. Thanks. We are trying to avoid using coding if possible, and just work from a design perspective, if that changes any of the suggestions for software to use.

Thanks.

Return to posts index

by on Dec 2, 2010 at 4:59:30 pm

Respectfully said: if you don't want to learn, hire someone who knows.

Return to posts index

Charlie EssersRe: PowerPoint-like Web Design
by on Dec 2, 2010 at 5:18:25 pm

I agree the premade CMSs are going to probably be your best jumping off point, but Fernando is right as well... unless you're just designing a mockup in Photoshop, you gotta learn some code. I found Wordpress pretty easy once I learned CSS.

Cheers!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]