FORUMS: list search recent posts

Working on a site redesign

COW Forums : Web Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Micah TouchetWorking on a site redesign
by on Oct 14, 2010 at 12:07:48 am

Okay, guys... we're in the process of redesigning our website and want to get some critique...

• How does the site feel overall?
  • Are there any obvious browsers issues?
  • We're using some CSS3, HTML5 and font-face stuff. Is it causing any problems that you notice?
  • What about the screen resolution size? Does it look reasonable on your monitor?
  • Anything else, please feel free to comment below.

Home page:
Interior pages:

Thanks much!

-- Best regards,
Micah Touchet
Creative Director, NewBirth Creative Design Agency

Return to posts index

Melvin DichosoRe: Working on a site redesign
by on Oct 14, 2010 at 7:31:32 am

For me it just looks fine on my monitor. I'm using Chrome and Firefox and I don't see any obvious flaws of your site in those browsers. Maybe just make the text more readable especially in the middle part of the home page.

Its nice that youre using css3 and html5. ;-)

Return to posts index

Mike SmithRe: Working on a site redesign
by on Oct 14, 2010 at 8:21:05 am

Nice overall look.

You're aware though that HTML is not a stable specification, may change a lot yet, and that support is patchy and potentially inconsistent in current browsers, and not available in older browsers, of which there are many in the wild.

Specifics on your pages:
The fixed header and footer give quite an interesting,retro, frames-style feel, but on two monitors here they use up quite a lot of screen real estate, reducing the core content area to not much, unless viewed full screen. They feel oversized.

It seems, too, that you are using fixed font sizes, in pixels. Perhaps you are not aware that this is regarded as not good practice, for accessibility and user control reasons, and might cause your site to fail an accessibility audit?

It seems you might be designing on a screen with a 72dpi virtual font resolution a Mac, whereas many are on screens with text at a virtual 96dpi Windows and Linux. The result is that the text looks really quite small on Windows here - is that how you intended it?

I appreciate that when asking for feedback sometimes anything less than unequivocal praise can be unwelcome or hurtful, and if this has fallen that way with you then I apologise. It is intended to behelpful in improving what already looks like it's going to be good work .

Return to posts index

by on Oct 14, 2010 at 9:57:59 am

To follow up on this, currently your demo home page is failing css 3 validation at w3c , though it is claiming otherwise.

css3 like html is an unfinished spec, and you can expect cross browser implementation issues, so graceful fallback might be a good strategy !

Return to posts index

Fernando MolRe: Working on a site redesign
by on Oct 14, 2010 at 6:07:23 pm

You are using Internet Explorer 6 or worse.
In order to provide a pleasant experience for most users, no attempt has been made to enable this website to be compatible with ultra-outdated browsers.

LOL - We all should do this (found when tested the site on IE6)

*Always share a link to your site and rate the posts. This is a free service for you and for us.

Return to posts index

by on Oct 17, 2010 at 9:18:51 am

Entertaining. IE6, perhaps sadly, still has a significant market share.

Dara from Net Applications rates it as high as 17% in June this year (though of course accurate and representative usage data are hard to come by, and results var by method and sample sites used) PC Mag has it down at 5% globally, though still very widelyused in China nd India,2817,2368557,00.asp

Many businesses reportedly retain it.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved