FORUMS: list search recent posts

Dotted Lines on Buttons - Focus

COW Forums : Web Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kevin Muse
Dotted Lines on Buttons - Focus
on Oct 13, 2010 at 4:12:32 am

This problem keeps rearing its ugly head for me. On certain machines, my homemade buttons show the dotted lines on click. Is there a sure fire way to kill this! It is so annoying. I put this inside the header but its just not working.

a {
outline: none
}

I use Web Studio but that shouldn't matter.
Please help. Thanks

Return to posts index

Curtis Thompson
Re: Dotted Lines on Buttons - Focus
on Oct 13, 2010 at 5:34:32 am

hello...

i believe that should work - so will putting a this.blur() javascript snippet either on each link that you want this to not happen on or globally via jquery, mootools, etc...

can you paste your site url so that we can take a look? maybe there's another reason why the css thing isn't working...

sitruc

Return to posts index

Kevin Muse
on Oct 13, 2010 at 1:27:02 pm

Yes,thanks.
http://www.kelseymuse.com
Note that on my 64bit Windows 7 machine with the same version of IE its ok. Its also ok on Safari. My 32 bit windows 7 machine is where it happens. Therefore, dont know who out there on the web will get it that way.

Return to posts index

Kevin Muse
on Oct 14, 2010 at 6:53:44 pm

Guys, please dont forget me...

Return to posts index

Curtis Thompson
on Oct 14, 2010 at 7:04:08 pm

hello...

not seeing it myself so it seems your css is fine. unless you are referring to the lines around the flash elements, which is a setting a user can have to keep their computer more secure, and you can't make them change that...

if you have a link where that sticks and you just can't live with it, then you can always add an onclick="this.blur()" to the href tag. or, you can set them all with a js lib like jquery...

it's a browser feature, so i really never put that much thought into it, but if it's really bugging you, that's the js way to get rid of it...

sitruc

Return to posts index

Kevin Muse
on Oct 14, 2010 at 8:03:13 pm

It bugs me as other professional sites don't have it. I inserted onclick="this.blur()" Before the object, inside the object, and inside the DIV, and even all at the same time and it doesnt fix it. border="0" doesn't either. Using this java anywhere on th epage, literally, doesnt work either:

function removeFocusOnAllLinks(){
for(var i=0 ; i < document.links.length ; i++)
document.links.onfocus=blurLink;
}

function blurLink() {
if (this.blur) this.blur();
}

window.onload=removeFocusOnAllLinks;

Possibly you are assuming I am adding additional code or something of that nature.

Return to posts index

Kevin Muse
on Oct 14, 2010 at 9:39:54 pm

I have found the issue. It is a program bug. If a jpg is placed anywhere on the page and its size adjusted (only if its size is adjusted), the dots appear in the menu. Unbelievable. I appreciate your help. If, for curiosities sake, you would like to examine the good and the bad page, I will post the bad for a while as test.html. The jpg is the SESAC logo in the center of the page. The good page is the index. I can't find it in the code. Possibly its the "aaaaaaaaaaaaiii" data at the end as I cant figure out what that is. Thanks again, and sorry for the goosechase!

Return to posts index

Curtis Thompson
on Oct 14, 2010 at 10:46:57 pm

hello...

i now suspect that you weren't talking about links at all, but rather the lines around the top art that, when mousing over, said "click to activate and use this control"?

that isn't a hyperlink issue, and the css and javascript solutions won't work for that. the "dotted line" issue that i thought you were referring to is this one:

http://designwoop.com/2008/10/removing-the-dotted-hyperlink-borders/

as opposed to this one:

http://www.macromediahelp.com/flash/flash_object_fix/

the latter indeed is how you embed your content, and the former is a browser feature.

glad you got it resolved.

sitruc

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]