FORUMS: list search recent posts

If IE6 or 7 load a different Template...?

COW Forums : Web Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alister StevensIf IE6 or 7 load a different Template...?
by on Oct 11, 2010 at 10:07:34 am

Hi,

I'm a bit of a novice web designer, and I would like to know if its possible to have a template (.dwt file) change depending on what browser the client is using.
In other words, if IE 6 (or 7) use template2 instead of template1... something similar to how you can use a conditional comment for IE to load a different stylesheet.
I expect there is some solution using JavaScript, or something else...but so far I have been unsuccessful in finding one.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Alister.

Return to posts index

Curtis ThompsonRe: If IE6 or 7 load a different Template...?
by on Oct 11, 2010 at 3:47:39 pm

hello...

once your template makes it to the web, there is no longer the concept of a template - you would then have 3 options:

- use a scripting language such as php to redirect the user to a different version

- use javascript to do the same

- update your layout to support ie6 by default

the last option is really the way to go here. there are a ton of ie6/7 users out there, and it's a pain to maintain 2 copies of your site.

if you really had to do a separate version, something like php is a lot better than javascript, as people can disable the latter and you cannot control that...

certainly it's fine to have different style sheets (and sometimes required thanks to the ie6 css implementation), but you always want to keep everybody on one set of pages if at all possible.

sitruc

Return to posts index

Alister StevensRe: If IE6 or 7 load a different Template...?
by on Oct 12, 2010 at 8:33:28 am

Thanks for the info.
I will try to modify my design to work with IE6/7.
Hopefully in a few years web designers won't have to worry about IE6/7 problems.
Thanks again :D

Return to posts index

Curtis ThompsonRe: If IE6 or 7 load a different Template...?
by on Oct 12, 2010 at 2:55:20 pm

hello...

you can do quite a lot of fancy things and keep it very compatible - but also think about your audience. are they likely to be using ie6? if not, you can maybe spend less time focusing on it.

(example - if you're making a gaming fan site, you can probably assume that the visitors are younger and a bit more hip to the world and will not be using ie6 as much - but check your logs once your site goes live to see what people are indeed using and design accordingly)

sitruc

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]