FORUMS: list search recent posts

My website looks slightly different in browsers other than Safari!

COW Forums : Web Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
RIchard Arkinstall
My website looks slightly different in browsers other than Safari!
on Aug 29, 2010 at 10:45:25 am

Hi I have created a small website using safari....It is mainly image pages created in illustrator but I have included a music player which looks fine position wise in safari but internet explorer and firefox (ones ive checked) it is out of position....

Can someone help me with how to code it to make it work?! I dont know how to use html code so wouldnt know where to start.

The site is:- http://www.evildingo.co.uk

Return to posts index

Curtis Thompson
Re: My website looks slightly different in browsers other than Safari!
on Aug 30, 2010 at 3:48:41 pm

hello...

you seem to have a lot of unused code in there, but that's not causing the problem. you have 2 issues:

1. your large image is way too wide. the bg image (http://www.evildingo.co.uk/Images/EvilD_Main.jpg) is 1440px wide. very few people run their browsers that wide, so while you have your content centered in that 1440px, if i'm running less than that, i'll see a scrollbar and your content won't be centered.

FIX: trim the unused white space off either side and either use a table (old school way, but easier, and it works) to center the content or center a div on the page.

2. your flash music player (auto-play of music on a site is still frowned upon, btw) is positioned absolutely to a specific point on the page (via the "#apDiv2" css declaration).

FIX: you have to position it relative to the main image, which will be relative to the width of the browser. again, the fix here is the same as for #1 - you can make a table to hold both and center that, or you can center a div and set the content to align right in it.

i have put a version of your page on my server with the above issues addressed via tables (as those will be easier to grok than positioned divs):

http://sitruc.com/cow/evildingo/

changes:

1. removed extraneous white space around main image
2. broke off copyright portion on bottom into separate gif
3. put content into a table aligned in the center of the page
4. removed unused html in page
5. made html compliant with the specified doctype

you can view the source there and download the updated images from my server via the urls which are shown in the source...

hope that helps!

sitruc

Return to posts index

RIchard Arkinstall
on Sep 1, 2010 at 2:13:05 pm

Hi, Thanks for help with that....I have put all the parts in tables like you suggested. I have also only had the music player on the main page so its not too annoying

I did want to ask something thou. I have a div box on one of the pages because I need the video to appear at a certain point. Randomly when I test the page the positioning isn't right?!

Is there a way to link it to the table?!

Return to posts index

Curtis Thompson
on Sep 1, 2010 at 3:18:25 pm

hello...

which page are you referring to? i'll need to see it to offer any fixes...

also - on the music:

[RIchard Arkinstall] "I have also only had the music player on the main page so its not too annoying"

it's completely subjective. it's annoying if i have other music on already or my speakers start blasting music when i hit a page. trust me when i say it's a strong usability no-no.

(you're more than welcome to leave it, of course, but you have to acknowledge that you will eventually turn off at least a percentage of your visitors)

sitruc

Return to posts index

RIchard Arkinstall
on Sep 1, 2010 at 4:39:11 pm

Hi,

Thanks for getting back to me....The page in question is the showreel one. You will notice it straight away. As I said before it shows up fine in dreamweaver by goes a bit crazy when it goes live.

As for the music, it is only on the main page now. I just wondered whether there is anything in the code you can alter to make it not autoplay. I did use a company whereby I could add the tunes and they give you the code... I may have selected autoplay!? The problem is ive paid for it that way so don't want to have to pay again.

Also, and last thing I promise....the unused code! I tried taking some out but it really alters the position when I try to remove it. I think its relatively straight forward to know which is not being used, but I don't know from which command we can delete from without it messing up the position

Thanks again

Rich

Return to posts index

Curtis Thompson
on Sep 2, 2010 at 3:39:12 pm

hello...

you still have the div that contains the movie absolutely positioned on the page via the apDiv1 css declaration. you need to take that div, remove the css id apDiv1 (or delete all positioning related info in the css declaration) and put it in a table cell in the page...

as for music - check the manual for podsnack (which is what you seem to be using?), but also probably just try a param in the object block that is something like:

or

those are total guesses, but likely candidates...

sitruc

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]