FORUMS: list search recent posts

Is this html or Flash?

COW Forums : Web Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lisa HurleyIs this html or Flash?
by on Aug 2, 2010 at 6:45:22 am

I wanting to create something similar to this layout. It first appeared to me to be html when looking at the source code...but now I'm thinking it may be some type of flash, embedded.

If any of you have a spare moment, can you check out this site, and tell me the best software to use to get this look?

Is this magazine background created most likely with photoshop, then inserted into an html document. The main thing I want to create, is this magazine background look?

Heres the site:

Return to posts index

Mike SmithRe: Is this html or Flash?
by on Aug 2, 2010 at 8:59:08 am

That page is essentially html. The one flash element I can see is the static, rotated image towards the bottom, by the latest engagement headline. You can also rotate images in Photoshop or any other image editor.

Software to use for web design, wow. That opens up a lot of preference questions.

You will need some kind of web layout software. Dreamweaver is Adobe's current heavyweight offering and has its advocates, though it is pricey. This might start you off

Xara has a wysiwyg offering at which will allow you to design a page look as you like and produce more-or-less standards compliant outputs. Not free.

Photoshop or Illustrator could be good for preparing graphics.

Return to posts index

Lisa HurleyRe: Is this html or Flash?
by on Aug 3, 2010 at 10:57:38 pm

Well, I've got Dreamweaver, and Photoshop, so I think I'm well-equipped for something of this nature...I just can't quite figure out how they got the realistic looking magazine background look.

I'm trying to figure out how to accomplish getting that same magazine background. I've tried scanning magazine pages and working with them in photoshop, but I've not produced anything like this.

Hopefully I'll figure this out...because I'd really like to use this look in a project I'm working on... If you have any ideas as to how I might best achieve this effect, please don't keep it a secret!

Thanks so much for your help! Have a great day!

Return to posts index

Mike SmithRe: Is this html or Flash?
by on Aug 4, 2010 at 8:04:46 am

The key to the look is the big background image

which is 1450 wide by 1300 high. I think if you look at in photoshop you will see how you could make a version to suit your ends. A couple of gradients and maybe a line could produce a page-fold look. A pale grey background would give you room to use a whiter highlight area. You could blend in layers with text and images using semi-transparent masks ...

Why not post us what you come up with ?

Return to posts index

Lisa HurleyRe: Is this html or Flash?
by on Aug 4, 2010 at 5:55:49 pm

Wow... that's like revealing the key to Solomon's Temple :)
Thanks.. that's all I needed to get started... I'll definitely keep ya'll updated on the results :)
Sometimes, the answer to the question is right in front of your face the whole time...just needs the right person to reveal it :)

Return to posts index

kelly johnsonRe: Is this html or Flash?
by on Aug 5, 2010 at 2:27:36 pm

a late entry here... yeah, css with background images is what you want. Then use css to position the content over the background in the areas it belongs.

Cool look.

Return to posts index

Post removed.

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved