FORUMS: list search recent posts

Video on Defaul Page

COW Forums : Web Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Stephen AshleyVideo on Defaul Page
by on Jul 3, 2010 at 7:16:56 pm

We're considering placing a video demo on prime space on the default page of a new site we are creating. At this point in the design we're thinking about placing it on the top right half, just under the header.

My questions are:

1. The video player takes up a lot of space that we could have copy in. Will a video in that position have a positive or negative impact on SEO?

2. Psychologically speaking where web optimization is concerned, does anyone know if having a video demo on the first page is a good idea?

We'll also have a demo page with around 20 demo clips or so, but this first page demo would be a sampling. Or are we better off just leaving the demos on the demo page only?

Return to posts index

Fernando MolRe: Video on Defaul Page
by on Jul 4, 2010 at 1:46:41 pm

Search engines will ignore your video, skipping it until they found readable text. So no SEO problems in my opinion.

But you can place the code of your video down on the page and show it up using CSS, if you want. It's safer.

Abut the "psychological" opinion, I see no problem in having a video in your first page, but that will depend on the relation of that video to the rest of your content. It's important to don't auto-play the video. I'll avoid an auto-loaded video too. Give the user the chance to decide if they want to see the video or not. A nice explanation of what's the content will help too.

This is true, unless you are promoting a movie and want the trailer to be shown right away. In general, it's rude to auto-play any type of multimedia content on a web page.

I hope this helps.

*Always share a link to your site and rate the posts. This is a free service for you and for us.

Return to posts index

Fernando MolRe: Video on Defaul Page
by on Jul 4, 2010 at 1:47:54 pm

Also, you should consider having an alternate HTML content for devices that don't run Flash. A banner of the same size of your video should do the trick.

*Always share a link to your site and rate the posts. This is a free service for you and for us.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]