FORUMS: list search recent posts

Making a pic appear big, but print small

COW Forums : Web Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lubomir Missov
Making a pic appear big, but print small
on Jul 1, 2010 at 8:22:50 pm

Hello,

A friend wants to put some of her paintings on a web page. She has seen websites where pictures appear big and nice. To test, she has printed them and she gets them much smaller. She wants to do the same with her paintings, so people cannot copy/print un-authorized. She asked me to do this for her in Photoshop and I did not get the result she wanted. (I tried with lowering the resolution/quality/size of the jpegs.) It must be something in the webpage design/programming that would achieve that effect. Any ideas?

Thank you,

Luby

Return to posts index

Fernando Mol
Re: Making a pic appear big, but print small
on Jul 1, 2010 at 10:47:20 pm

You can assign a different CSS for screen and fro printing, but to be sure about what your friend wants could you please provide an example (link)?

*Always share a link to your site and rate the posts. This is a free service for you and for us.

Return to posts index

Lubomir Missov
on Jul 5, 2010 at 11:09:04 pm

Thank you, Fernando.

My friend was happy with your answer. She said she knows a little bit about CSS. I guess she had two questions (I missed that). Here is her second one. She got this two pages (links below) and the pix on them cannot be copied, printed or saved. I tried it too with no result. She wants to know how she can make hers that way - so people cannot copy, etc. her paintings from her web page.

http://www.beyondtheordinary.net/karriemali.shtml
http://www.beyondtheordinary.net/BTO-Library.shtml

BeyondTheOrdinary is her and her partner's webcast radio and Kariem is one the speakers, so there is nothing "fishy" there.

Thanks again,

Luby

Return to posts index

Fernando Mol
on Jul 5, 2010 at 11:32:26 pm

There's no way you can really protect an image on the web. Show your copyright and share.

Those images had some functions disabled, probably with javascript. But I just drag and drop them to my desktop with no problem. So, they are not secured.

I hope this helps

*Always share a link to your site and rate the posts. This is a free service for you and for us.

Return to posts index

Lubomir Missov
on Jul 6, 2010 at 4:04:19 am

Wow, thanks, Fernando,

It did not even occur to me to just click and drag it. She'll be disappointed, but that's the web reality. We like it and we have to live with all its features.

In response to Curtis, yes, I suggested watermark and back then she did not want to "abscure" the images. Now she may reconsider.

Thank you all again,

Luby

Return to posts index

Curtis Thompson
on Jul 6, 2010 at 5:56:18 am

hello...

i'd call this a low to mid-level watermark example, but even here it's clear to see and really doesn't impact the overall image that much...

http://www.shutterfreaks.com/Actions/WatermarkSignatures/SampleDiagonal.jpg

it's really the only option you have if you want to do the best you can to ensure that your images are protected, and even these are removable by an expert at photoshop. but it's like a car alarm - it'll deter 95% of the potential thieves, which is a lot better than none...

sitruc

Return to posts index

Curtis Thompson
on Jul 5, 2010 at 11:34:50 pm

hello...

completely agree with what fernando wrote in the other response - you cannot protect web content from being downloaded... :-/

have you considered watermarks? they are not intrusive but do the job were somebody to print it out and hang it on the wall...

sitruc

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]