FORUMS: list search recent posts

404 Error

COW Forums : Web Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Richard Williams
404 Error
on May 27, 2010 at 9:33:25 pm

Hi Gents,

Can someone please shed some light on the 404 error for me please?

If i google the words "the holly wood bowl gillingham", one of my sites comes up.... the hollywoodbowl.co.uk.

OK, so if you click on the links from google... it appears to go to the correct address, but it displays a failed page from the server. if you click on the address from the server failed page, it goes to the site all ok. If you shut the browser down and restart it and repeat... the same thing happens, although if you keep the browser open, and google it again and click the links... it goes to the site fine.
Can someone tell me why this is happening please? I have recently changed the site, but the index.html is still called index.html.. very confused as to what is happening.

Richard Williams
p.s. Please remember to rate our post replies and tick if solved. Also, please remember that we here are NOT employed by Adobe, we do this out of love and fun, so its always nice to recieve a Please and Thank You! :o)

Return to posts index

Curtis Thompson
Re: 404 Error
on May 27, 2010 at 9:40:41 pm

hello...

wow. hmm. that is strange. however, w/o seeing your webserver config, it's really hard to say... :-/

a quick fix would be to update your error page to automatically redirect to your home page, but i will admit that doesn't resolve the problem...

are you running apache as your webserver? do you have control over it or is it your isp that manages it? if it's the latter, i'd hit them up with the problem as they should have the access to figure out what it is..

sorry to not have an answer for you, but like i said - w/o seeing config, it's hard to know...

sitruc

Return to posts index

Fernando Mol
on May 27, 2010 at 9:49:29 pm

Did you try changing the .html for .htm in your index page?

*Always share a link to your site and rate the posts. This is a free service for you and for us.

Return to posts index

Richard Williams
on May 28, 2010 at 9:04:01 am

Thanks Gents,
fernando, I did think about doing that but I always use HTML instead of htm and this problem has only just started to happen so I thought I would just be adding another variable into the mix by changing it so I thought I would ask first.
I did recently update the site so I know that the sitemap is now incorrect bur again wasn't sure this should impact on the google search as it appears to direct to http://www.thehollywoodbowl.co.uk/ which you would asume is fine. Indeed the fact that once you have visited the page then google it in the same browser and click on the link it works.
Chris,
I don't know how to do the error page redirect at all, is this done from within the site or on my server host setting?
I will raise a ticket with my supplier now and see if they can bottom it out.
Thanks guys

Return to posts index

Richard Williams
on May 28, 2010 at 9:05:23 am

Sorry... Curtis not Chris! (I'm on my iPhone and couldn't scroll up to see your name)

Richard Williams
p.s. Please remember to rate our post replies and tick if solved. Also, please remember that we here are NOT employed by Adobe, we do this out of love and fun, so its always nice to recieve a Please and Thank You! :o)

Return to posts index

Richard Williams
on May 28, 2010 at 12:45:35 pm

UPDATE:
The problem was that my FTP had been hacked and malicious files were uploaded to it redirecting a person that reached my site to another website.
This was picked up by my host, but it seems that things were still not put right afterwards. All is now ok.

Thanks for your input gents

Richard Williams

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]