FORUMS: list search recent posts

Trouble with SWF in webpage when viewed with Explorer

COW Forums : Web Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Aaron Hayman
Trouble with SWF in webpage when viewed with Explorer
on Mar 23, 2010 at 4:47:16 pm

I have some pages of my website that have SWFs in them and these pages end up being jumbled when viewed with Explorer. I got a flag in Dreamweaver that stated that I needed some additional information in the tags to be correctly viewed in Explorer, but it wasn't clear to me what those fixes might be. I wonder if there's a way to just cut and paste a few extra lines of code inside the tags that appear on the pages that I'm having trouble with... that will make them acceptable to the Explorer browser?

I don't really understand Javascript and the website that I found that might have a fix for this was pretty complicated and had some very long, multi-step fixes that I couldn't quite figure out. I wonder though if there's a site that has some examples of just what the correct code is. I think if I were to see that I might be able to figure out how to apply that code to my own site.

One of the pages in question is this:
http://www.mapango.net/aarondesign/flash_movie.htm

Thank you very much in advance.

-Aaron

Return to posts index

Jameson Wallace
Re: Trouble with SWF in webpage when viewed with Explorer
on Mar 24, 2010 at 6:38:31 am

what about the SWF code that Flash generates? does that work? does it work on page other than your template?

| Jameson Wallace
| Motion Graphics Festival
| New Motion + New Sound + New Code
| http://MGFest.com

Return to posts index

Aaron Hayman
on Mar 24, 2010 at 3:51:37 pm

I used the HTML code that Flash generates and that seems to work OK for the other browsers, but not so well for Explorer. I'm using an older version of Flash (CS3) and it appears that Microsoft just recently changed the requirements to Explorer and I can't upgrade my Flash.

I'm not sure but I think that it's going to be one of those things were the code is "redundant" like it's going to be another copy of pretty much the same thing with just a few changes in the language to accommodate Explorer. Not sure what that code is though...

And to answer your other question, the code doesn't seem to be working (in Explorer) on any of the pages where I have SWFs in the code.

Return to posts index

Jameson Wallace
on Mar 25, 2010 at 1:46:45 am

can you use this:
http://jquery.lukelutman.com/plugins/flash/

if not there should be many similar projects written in stand-alone js if you dont want to include the whole jquery base (~50k for version 1.3)

using this plugin the code would be something like :

$('#hello').flash({
src: 'hello.swf',
width: 320,
height: 240
});

| Jameson Wallace
| Motion Graphics Festival
| New Motion + New Sound + New Code
| http://MGFest.com

Return to posts index

Aaron Hayman
on Mar 29, 2010 at 11:22:00 pm

Ok... I'm lost. I'm wondering what the code the code you gave me replaces or if it would be in addition to the code that I already have?

Do I need some sort of javascript thing that the page references for it... like the "<script src="Scripts/swfobject_modified.js" type="text/javascript">" that I've already got?

The code for the SWF portion for one of the pages in question (http://www.mapango.net/aarondesign/flash_movie.htm) is this:

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

<script type="text/javascript">

//-->

I wonder if I really need a whole new script at all, or if there's a few mods that I can do that would make it work in IE.

Also, I wonder if there's any way to preview it (or check the code) for the latest version of IE for my Mac machine, as it doesn't look like any of the newer versions of that browser are available for the Mac.

It looks like you'll have to look at the source code for the code that I've pasted in order to see what I'm talking about. I guess that I don't really know how to "quote code" here. Sorry.

Thanks, in advance.

Return to posts index

Fernando Mol
on Mar 29, 2010 at 11:41:20 pm

Can you please describe more about what exactly is the problem with your site?

Also, if you can write the exact message Dreamweaver is giving you it would be helpful.

I can't see your flash movie (the blue guitars) in Firefox or Safari on Vista64, on IE8 it works fine.

*Always share a link to your site and rate the posts. This is a free service for you and for us.

Return to posts index

Aaron Hayman
on Mar 29, 2010 at 11:58:23 pm

The problem with my site is the very one that you're having with it, that it can't be viewed reliably with all browsers (or at least the major ones: Firefox, IE and Safari) and on both the Mac and PC. I'm wondering if there's some HTML code that I can use as a "holder" for my SWF that might work better than the code I'm currently using... either that or additional code.

In Dreamweaver I get this message when I open the page in question (or any of the pages that I have that contain these SWFs):

"This page contains tags that may not work properly in the most recent versions of Internet Explorer. Dreamweaver cannot convert these tags."

Funny, but I've gotten it to work in just the browsers that don't work for you and vice versa. The fact that the pages in question work only intermittently is part of the problem though.

Return to posts index

Fernando Mol
on Mar 30, 2010 at 1:53:01 am

The HTML code seems to be OK.

I accessed the SWF directly and it doesn't work.

Jameson is right on suggesting an alternate way to place the swf.

I will assume (correct me if I'm wrong),

-first, you tried placing the swf directly on Dreamweaver and uploaded all the generated files. Javascript, swf controls, etc. It didn't worked.

-then, you deleted the swf and all the links that DW created for external javascript files.

-from Flash, you published again creating an HTML page. Copy/Pasted the code inside DW. It didn't worked again.

-then, you deleted all the code that you pasted and tried again with jQuery.

If all of this is true, you have something wrong inside your swf file. You need to debug in Flash.

I hope this helps

*Always share a link to your site and rate the posts. This is a free service for you and for us.

Return to posts index

Aaron Hayman
on Mar 30, 2010 at 4:27:39 am

Thank you for taking the time to look at my stuff... No, I didn't do anything like the process you've suggested in creating this page (or any other similar ones on my site). I simply used the code that Flash generates when you have it generate HTML code and then I pasted that inside of a div on my web page. I used a text editor for this and tested it out... and it did seem to work at the time in safari, I believe. It was only later that I realized that it didn't work in Explorer and worked inconsistently in safari and Firefox. No jQwery code was used for this (although I use that code for other elements of the site like the drop down menus).

I tried opening up the SWF in the Flash player and it worked fine for me.

Return to posts index

Fernando Mol
on Mar 30, 2010 at 4:42:00 am

You can try placing your swf again.

-Open your page
-In design view, place the cursor where you want your movie to be
-Go to the menu >Insert >Media >SWF

Save and test.

If your movie works going directly to it, then I have to tell you, it doesn't in my computer (Vista 64 bits). So there's a possibility that the swf is troubled.

Return to posts index

Aaron Hayman
on Mar 30, 2010 at 4:54:23 am

OK... I'm going to have to try your method of placing the SWF with Dreamweaver instead of with Flash. I think that I may still have a problem though as I just have the CS3 suite (not anything more current) and I understand that Microsoft made a change to way that IE works with Flash, so I think that I'd still need some kind of workaround for getting it to view properly in all browsers.

Also I'm wondering what you mean when you say that you couldn't get the SWF to work when you accessed it directly. It seems that in a previous post you said that you got it to work in IE (just the one that I'm having the biggest problem with). Could it possibly work in IE, but not directly in the Flash player?

Return to posts index

Fernando Mol
on Mar 30, 2010 at 2:41:56 pm

I'm using Windows Vista 64 bit.

Safari, Chrome and Internet Explorer show the video.

This is what I get in Firefox:

Return to posts index

Aaron Hayman
on Mar 30, 2010 at 6:18:59 pm

Yes, Exactly, That's what I'm trying to fix. I've played just the SWF file off of my own computer (a Mac) and it looks perfect, as do all of the other similar files that I have. In light of this, other folks that I've talked to have told me that they were pretty sure that the problem was not with the SWF, but with the the code that references that SWF in the HTML. In fact, I posted a question about this in the Flash forum here and was told that it wasn't a problem with the Flash and that I needed to post it in this section.

I don't know what I would have done in Flash any differently anyway as it seems that there aren't so many variables in that program when creating this kind of a thing.

I'll try the one thing that you mentioned, which is generating the code via Dreamweaver (rather than with Flash) and see how that goes. I'll let you know what I come up with.

Return to posts index

Fernando Mol
on Mar 30, 2010 at 6:36:32 pm

I see...

Jameson suggested to use a different method for embed the swf. Let's try that. If you are familiar with jQuery, go for the tools Jameson posted.

Personally, I have used swfobject in the past with nice results. You can download it from here:

http://code.google.com/p/swfobject/

You need to download the last version of swfobject. This will be a zip file. Unzip and place the extracted files in your site. Upload. Don't forget to read the instructions, I may be forgetting something.

Then, download the swfobject generator. Air or HTML. It's a very simple application that will allow you, by defining some parameters, to generate the necessary code you'll need to place in your actual page.

I hope this helps

Return to posts index

Aaron Hayman
on Mar 30, 2010 at 6:44:19 pm

Cool... this is exactly the sort of thing that I'm looking for: Code that is going to be more current (and hopefully more reliable) than what my not-so-current CS3 will generate.

I understand the process of downloading, copying and pasting code as I have done that very same thing with JQwery things for various other elements of my site and got them (with a bit of tweaking) to work just fine.

I'll go ahead and try this and get back to you. Thanks a lot. I have a feeling that this just might be the sort of fix that works.

Return to posts index

Aaron Hayman
on Mar 31, 2010 at 12:51:54 am

I went ahead and checked out that link that you gave me: http://code.google.com/p/swfobject/

It was indeed pretty slick the way that they provide a sort of "creator" that creates the code for you. I did all of that and then tested out how that code works with my page and the SWF inside of it... and it's still buggy when viewed with Firefox.

I wonder then if there isn't another way of achieving the same sort of thing that I'm doing with Flash: having a sort of thumbnail menu that plays the videos of each corresponding thumbnail in a separate space? Could I perhaps reengineer the pages on my site in question to use some sort of Javascript feature to do the same thing that I'm trying to do in Flash? I've been looking for such a thing o the JQuery site and haven't come up with anything so far. Would a javascript solution necessarily be more reliable, more cross platform capable than something made with Flash?

Return to posts index

Fernando Mol
on Mar 31, 2010 at 2:19:15 am

This is weird. I see your file is not just a flv inside a player, you are trying to create a videobox. Right? The thing is, if there's anything inside the Flash when you placed the video that points to the external controller and is out of date now, you'll need to fix it inside Flash. My guess.

Try finding any updates for Flash

go to the menu >Help >Updates

Then place your video again and publish. If it's something about having an old software then Adobe should be making some fix.

If there's no fix, try placing your FLV directly in Dreamweaver and see if that works. This will tell you if there's a code problem or something inside your Flash file.

I hope this helps

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]