FORUMS: list search recent posts

Website behaving funny in IE 7 & 8

COW Forums : Web Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Adam Troudart
Website behaving funny in IE 7 & 8
on Mar 23, 2010 at 3:56:21 am

Hi!
Im in the course of putting together a website for a friend of mine who is a British choreographer. The URL is:
http://jeanefer.com

Now the site is almost complete. I am still doing some amendments but it really is nearly finished. There are a few issues I need to deal with, such as the misplaced video on Gallery>>Videos.
Unfortunately although the site runs pretty smoothly on Firefox 3.6 on Mac OS X 10.5.8, when you view it on IE on a PC (So far I've tested it on IE 7 & 8) it gets messed up.
The main quirks I've noticed:

1.The Video can't be seen (Gallery>>Videos). Instead you get a screen with an empty box in the middle. I've used the JW FLV Player.
2.In the Contact page you can't see the grey boxout on the top right (I've enclosed a screenshot of how it should look - Screen1.jpg).

3.In some machines you couldn't see the subnavigation properly (Under Gallery and under Productions. Please see Screen2.jpg - the Photos button is in Hover state)

It's worth mentioning that I recently validated thethe HTML against XHTML Strict and the CSS as well on W3C, so most pages (IOf not all) should be validated. I've also used conditional comments on every HTML page.

If there's any need to supply the CSS I would gladly do so.
Looking forward to get your hear from you.
Thanks a lot in advance,
Adam

Return to posts index

Jameson Wallace
Re: Website behaving funny in IE 7 & 8
on Mar 24, 2010 at 2:36:34 am

What exactly is your question?

Are you asking how to fix it, or how to learn how to fix it, or what tools to use?

| Jameson Wallace
| Motion Graphics Festival
| New Motion + New Sound + New Code
| http://MGFest.com

Return to posts index

Adam Troudart
on Mar 24, 2010 at 5:02:57 am

Hi Jasmeson.
Sorry I got so much into the nitt & gritt and forgot to ask the question..

Basically I would like to know what causes those issues and how to fix them. Once I can put my finger on what triggers those issues I'll probably just change the code accordingly. I normally do raw coding, I use Dreamweaver in code view. However if you have a recommendation for a specific debugging tool I'd love to hear about it.

As for the video, I thought it's the JW Player that causes the issues but I doubt it as this player is widely used. Would love to hear your take on that.

Cheers,
Adam

Return to posts index

Jameson Wallace
on Mar 24, 2010 at 6:36:52 am

Well the problem is clearly the CSS, and there is no way to know from just looking at it what the issue with the CSS is. could be a z-index problem, or maybe a piece of javascript is executing differently in IE than other browsers. Could be a million things.

Firebug is the essential CSS troubleshooting tool. It will show what CSS is affecting the part of the page that is acting funny. Firebug is a firefox plugin, and alas there is no firebug for IE. But you can use it to narrow your search.

Which things display incorrectly in IE when javascript is disabled? Are there any javascript errors in IE?

If firebug shows styles being crossed out, then those are being overridden by other styles. IE can interpret conflicting styles differently.

Have you looked at the box model issues with CSS in IE?

| Jameson Wallace
| Motion Graphics Festival
| New Motion + New Sound + New Code
| http://MGFest.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]