FORUMS: list search recent posts

large file uploading via website

COW Forums : Web Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mike Cohenlarge file uploading via website
by on Mar 6, 2010 at 3:38:37 am

It is not always practical to ask a client or custoemr to install ftp software, to say nothing of firewall or IT restrictions on the installation of software.

I understand that file size limitations exist using php.

I am wondering what sites like Creative COW and others use that allow huge file uploads through the web browser.

Also, could you use browser based ftp in a way that each user's login goes to a separate ftp folder, so users cannot see other users' uploads, yet only having to distribute one username and password. For example, each session would generate its own remote folder.

Thanks for any feedback you may be able to offer.

Mike Cohen

Return to posts index

Jameson WallaceRe: large file uploading via website
by on Mar 6, 2010 at 10:45:59 pm

Your question is a bit difficult to answer in the way that it is phrased. most programming languages (php, java, microsoft, python) have a way to manage large uploads. php has an initial limit, but it can be expanded. java specifically has a bunch of objects that help handle large file IO through HTTP.

But I dont think that is what you are looking for. Sounds like you just want a web front-end for standard FTP. Most studios provide this & there are lots of companies that provide versions that you can install on your website.

| Jameson Wallace
| Motion Graphics Festival
| New Motion + New Sound + New Code
| http://MGFest.com

Return to posts index

Fernando MolRe: large file uploading via website
by on Mar 16, 2010 at 5:07:11 am

[...Also, could you use browser based ftp in a way that each user's login goes to a separate ftp folder, so users cannot see other users' uploads, yet only having to distribute one username and password. For example, each session would generate its own remote folder...]

Yes, but it can be a little complicates since you'll need to manage the accounts, probably with a database.

You can google for "php download upload script", there are different solutions, some of them free.

I hope this helps

*Always share a link to your site and rate the posts. This is a free service for you and for us.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]