FORUMS: list search recent posts

breadcrumb problem

COW Forums : Web Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
hariprakash hadialbreadcrumb problem
by on Feb 15, 2010 at 4:35:29 am

I have a tricky problem.. I am using breadcrumb trail to show path to my pages. In order to run breadcrumb i have created folders for each page then categorized and sub-categorized each folders. certain of subcategories comes under 2 or 3 categories. Here i have a problem. In order to show true path every time, I need to add same subcategory under 2 or 3 category separately. Only problem with this is, it increases work tremendously.

let me explain you in detail with links..

Here is a page with Subcategory " Qaymat Se Qaymat Tak" under category " Aamir Khan"

Here is same sub-category " Qaymat Se Qaymat Tak" under different category " Juhi Chawla"

in both of this link I need to add same page separately for same sub-category(Qayamat Se Qaymat Tak), because both have different category.

does anybody have any idea how to add sub-category page only once and it will work for both category...

Return to posts index

Jameson WallaceRe: breadcrumb problem
by on Feb 23, 2010 at 4:03:11 am

one idea: try making breadcrumbs a history of user path.
automate how the display figures out what the breadcrumbs are,
and logically seperate the process from administrative categorization.

ie, the articles still have categories, but the breadcrumbs aren't a strict representation of their categories.

the idea of a "breadcrumb" is a user invention, and should be built to serve the user.

Categorization, from the administrative perspective, is a way to provide links between sections. think of them more as tags or threads of content, rather than strictly defined boundaries or sets.

I think the breadcrumb logic you are looking for is something like: breadcrumbs represent user path if they have a session, otherwise pick one of the ones that an admin chose.

| Jameson Wallace
| Motion Graphics Festival
| New Motion + New Sound + New Code

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved