FORUMS: list search recent posts

Can't see .gif in Explorer 8

COW Forums : Web Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Claire Speight
Can't see .gif in Explorer 8
on Feb 9, 2010 at 10:05:35 am

I am really hoping someone can help me here. I designed a web site a few years back for a client. Is simple. Only a few pages and uses both jpg and gif file formats.

Recently I had to update the site and uploaded all the files again. But now it won't view in Explorer 8. It works in Firefox, Safari, Opera and older version of Explorer on my old mac but not on a PC through Internet Explorer 8.

Have tried clearing cache history and suggested using a compatibility button that apparently exists in Explorer 8 but none of this works.

The jpgs can be viewed. But the gif's are all missing.

Suggestion is that I have to make all the gif's into jpgs. But this would completely change the design as I need transparent boxes to overlay the background.

Any ideas???
Its driving me crazy as it was such a small change.

Return to posts index

Curtis Thompson
Re: Can't see .gif in Explorer 8
on Feb 9, 2010 at 3:33:18 pm

hello...

can't do much verification or anything else w/o the link to your site... :-/

sitruc

Return to posts index

Claire Speight
on Feb 9, 2010 at 3:42:40 pm

ok here you go...

http://www.waterlifeswimschool.com

its a very basic site. I thought maybe it would be a know issue with explorer 8 but maybe not.

Return to posts index

Curtis Thompson
on Feb 9, 2010 at 4:52:02 pm

hello...

doesn't appear that you can see them in ie7 either. i opened the graphic in photoshop, and it seems that they were meant to be transparent gifs, but the transparent area was a grey color instead of showing as transparent.

so it's how they were made - in what graphics app did you make them?

also (and not really related) - it's _Really_ bad to have all your text as graphics as you do - search engines can't find it, people can't adjust the size if they have vision problems, and if they don't load graphics, they won't see it - i'd strongly recommend to convert that to plain text in the page...

sitruc

Return to posts index

Claire Speight
on Feb 9, 2010 at 7:56:29 pm

well my client could see the site up until my latest upload and had no calls to say anyone else could not see it until recently but thats not to say she had explorer 7 before. She may have had an older version.

The images were created in Photoshop as gif but stupidly I did not have Dreamweaver at the time to create the site and so used Quark Xpress which I had been using for other graphic work to create the design and exported it from there. It automatically exports the images as either gif's or jpg depending on what you set and on looking at the gif after export it does have a grey background. Strange as the original files are transparent. I can't seem to find any other preference to change this.

I have decided to make all the files jpg and have changed the design slightly and am hoping that it works now but not having access to a pc means I have to wait for the client to see if it worked.

I have also taken your advise with the text. As a designer for print mainly I find the lack of choice of fonts frustrating but I can see you point about the search engine.

Thanks for your advice. In the future I will use Dreamweaver.

Return to posts index

Curtis Thompson
on Feb 9, 2010 at 8:09:27 pm

hello...

if you have the images at the right size in photoshop, just use those - no need to use dreamweaver there. just put those up on the site and skip the quark step for that and they should work perfectly...

used to use quark but never for web publishing so no idea on that grey and why some browsers honor it - strange...

sitruc

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]