FORUMS: list search recent posts

Send graphic to back and add text on tp

COW Forums : Web Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sue Pfeiffer
Send graphic to back and add text on tp
on Dec 3, 2009 at 7:34:19 pm

I'm using DeamweaverCS4 and I have a small graphic that I want to insert, which I have done, and I want to add text on top of it. How do I send that image backward so I can type on top of it? I'm new to this software.
Thanks in advance. You guys are always very helpful.

Return to posts index

Curtis Thompson
Re: Send graphic to back and add text on tp
on Dec 3, 2009 at 7:43:01 pm

hello....

i don't use dreamweaver so i can't give you those steps, but the concept behind it would be one of these 2 ways:

1. make the background of a div or other table cell (any block element) the image. then you can put text in the div and it will appear over the div

2. absolutely position the 2 elements (one block element for the image and one for the text) and set a z-index for each and make the z-index higher for the text element.

#1 is much easier to do, but it isn't always possible, so i gave you the other option as well. sorry i can't give more specifics on how to do that in dreamweaver, but with hope that gives you some ideas?

sitruc

Return to posts index

Jameson Wallace
on Dec 3, 2009 at 8:23:27 pm

you have to position your cursor before the image and hit the enter to insert a new paragraph.

if you are having trouble getting the paragraph to insert in the right place, try using the arrow keys.

if you have inserted a paragraph, but are dismayed that the text has a bottom margin and thus doesn't appear directly above the image, you can eliminate the margin by setting the line-height css attribute for the paragraph, or by using the
tag.

| Jameson Wallace
| Motion Graphics Festival
| New Motion + New Sound + New Code
| http://MGFest.com

Return to posts index

Sue Pfeiffer
on Dec 3, 2009 at 8:36:22 pm

The problem isn't adding text. The problem is layer a graphic on the bottom with text on top of it. I'm inserting a graphic, sometimes more than once, vertically in the sidebar. Then, I want to add information on top of it. In photoshop, I would just add another layer. Dreamweaver doesn't have that choice. I'm new at this, and I can't figure it out.

Return to posts index

Curtis Thompson
on Dec 3, 2009 at 8:41:00 pm

hello...

this tutorial might help - it's basically option #2 from my original answer:

http://www.informit.com/articles/article.aspx?p=355342

sitruc

Return to posts index

Sue Pfeiffer
on Dec 3, 2009 at 8:45:08 pm

Hi Curtis,
Thanks, but that link gives me an error message.

Return to posts index

Curtis Thompson
on Dec 3, 2009 at 8:51:58 pm

hello..

not sure what you mean about the error (link works fine here), but you can also go to:

http://www.informit.com

and search for "355342" (sans quotes) and it will take you to the same url

sitruc

Return to posts index

Sue Pfeiffer
on Dec 3, 2009 at 8:58:14 pm

Thank you very much. I will try to figure out from that information. Thanks for being patient with me.

Return to posts index

Sue Pfeiffer
adding flv file to DW CS4
on Dec 14, 2009 at 4:34:06 pm

I have a page in my website that I'm trying to add a flash movie (my demo reel)to. The page I created is one graphic (created in Photoshop) that I used as the background image for the page.
I want to put the video on top and in the center. I know how to add a .flv file, but trying to add it to this page, just pushed the background off to the side a bit.
Any suggestions? Do I need to layer it? I don't know how to do that.
I would appreciate any help. Also, when I view this page (which is just the full page graphic) in any browser, it is aligned to the left. I want it to be in the center of the page when you open it and have the browser window fully expanded.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]