FORUMS: list search recent posts

SSI Inputs

COW Forums : Web Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Richard Williams
SSI Inputs
on Nov 23, 2009 at 11:05:52 pm

Hi Guys,

Ok, sorry, im going to explain in full what im doing incase i am going about this in the wrong way...

I have created a webpage, pulling in some text using SSI in SHTML.

The DIV container for the text is set at a width of 300px, and it pulls in the text perfectly.

Now, i have also created an edit page. In the edit page, i have given a text area, and called the SSI in the same way as the initial value.

The problem i am having is that in the edit page text area, the SSI displays line breaks from the TXT file. For instance, imagine a text file with line 1 full of text, line 2 in blank, line 3 has text also. In the Edit page, this displays as a line of text, a gap like a break under it, then another line of text.

In the NORMAL page, the SSI calls the text file but displays line 1 and 3 up against eachother.
If i add the rule of white-space, then the text does not stay resticted to the DIV area, it just runs across the entire width of the page...

OK... so the problem is that if my client is editing the page content, and wants to write two paragraphs with space... he will naturally hit the return button in the edit page, and the text will look and align as he wants it to, but once he submits and the text file updates, the ACTUAL page will not display the paragraphs.

Any ideas on this...? The only thing i can think of is to add a button maybe ADDING text to the textarea as break tag, which of course displays perfectly then in the main page, but im struggling to code a button adding text to a selected point within a textarea.

Any Help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Richard Williams
p.s. Please remember to rate our post replies and tick if solved. Also, please remember that we here are NOT employed by Adobe, we do this out of love and fun, so its always nice to recieve a Please and Thank You! :o)

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcowcow
Fernando Mol
Re: SSI Inputs
on Nov 24, 2009 at 5:20:39 am

I use an open source WYSWYG text editor for CMS that allow the client to fully edit HTML code for includes or database text in a Word Style application.

CKEditor

I used to place plain text with the <pre> tag and the same problems you mention happened to me.

I hope this helps

*Always share a link to your site and rate the posts. This is a free service for you and for us.

Return to posts index

Richard Williams
on Nov 24, 2009 at 4:37:16 pm

This looks wonderful Fernando, is there any useful "how to" text anywhere...?

Richard Williams
p.s. Please remember to rate our post replies and tick if solved. Also, please remember that we here are NOT employed by Adobe, we do this out of love and fun, so its always nice to recieve a Please and Thank You! :o)

Return to posts index

Fernando Mol
on Nov 24, 2009 at 5:15:13 pm

Just download the free version and place the uncompressed folder in your root.

Here are some instructions on how to use it. You need a line of js in your document header and a form.

Look at the examples here

I hope this helps

*Always share a link to your site and rate the posts. This is a free service for you and for us.

Return to posts index

Richard Williams
on Nov 24, 2009 at 5:13:08 pm

Fernando,

My first born is now 2 Years old,but ive packed his back and hes now ready for you to pick him up :o)

Thanks Dude this is FANTASTIC!!!

Richard Williams

Return to posts index

Abraham Chaffin
on Nov 24, 2009 at 5:15:29 pm

Two year olds are a handful - not sure if giving your first born is the best form of payment =o

Abraham

Return to posts index

Fernando Mol
on Nov 24, 2009 at 6:04:04 pm

Junior is welcome anytime, as long he come with instructions.

Good day!

Return to posts index

Richard Williams
on Nov 24, 2009 at 8:10:54 pm

Thanks man, i looked through it all realier and it is pretty straight forward by looks of it, im deffo impressed.

Instructions for juniour are simple... feed one end, empty other end

Richard Williams

Return to posts index

Richard Williams
on Nov 25, 2009 at 2:37:30 pm

Fernando,

I just have one really quick quesiton on an issue with this that maybe you might have come across...

If i open up a textarea, and delete all of the content in the text area completely, this then insets a <p> tag in the body of the text area. If i overtype it does not do this, it only happens when i delete the entire content. If i then start to type something after deleting the entire content, it is wrapped with a <p>
If i highlight the text, then say apply ordered list to the content, then un-apply it again, the <p> disappears, but any ideas on how to prevent it from coming up in the first place?

Richard Williams

Return to posts index

Fernando Mol
on Nov 25, 2009 at 3:16:09 pm

Unfortunately, this HTML editor doesn't seems to be able to insert plain text at all.

What I was doing was inserting the plain text from a database inside a <PRE> tag in my page. But when I started using this utility I removed the PRE and placed the inserted code directly. Of course I had to change all my texts in the database from plain to HTML and modify the display pages. In my case there weren't many so it was no big deal.

I hope your project is not about re-formating Wikipedia.

Return to posts index

Richard Williams
on Nov 25, 2009 at 7:56:54 pm

hahahahahahaha... Cheers Mate!

Im just copying them to a text file, and bringing the text file in as an SSI, the only problem i had was inseting a </ br> when someone was typing in some text, and this... well it all works absolutly fantastically, i have programmed the return button to produce </ br> and it all works great, its just when you delete the whole content, it automatically then creastes a <p> which is a <p>ain in the butt, if its the only issue i have with it...

thanks again for this its made life much cooler and had i cant wait to start the new project now and give people the full control of the text perhaps, although its not great CSS wise.

Richard Williams

Return to posts index

Richard Williams
on Nov 24, 2009 at 8:09:25 pm

shhhh... he doesnt know that ;o)

Richard Williams

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]