FORUMS: list search recent posts

HTML Tables & Text Columns

COW Forums : Web Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brad Jayne
HTML Tables & Text Columns
on Sep 28, 2009 at 10:13:52 pm

Hey folks,

I am using very basic HTML code to design a site. I'm an amateur here, and trying to keep it as simple as possible, but am using tables to create a centered page.

My table in question is set up as one row with two columns; the left column, which is wider, is main body. I'm using the right column for a list of links. For some reason, I am not able to align the text in the right column at the top of the column; it's placement horizontally seems to be dictated by the text in the other column. Whenever I add text to the left column, the right column moves down.

It seems like the text in these two columns would be unaffiliated with each other, since they are completely separate columns. Can you help me ensure that I've programmed it that way?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Brad Jayne

Return to posts index

Curtis Thompson
Re: HTML Tables & Text Columns
on Sep 28, 2009 at 10:24:53 pm

hello...

do you have a sample online we can take a look at?

sitruc

Return to posts index

Brad Jayne
on Sep 28, 2009 at 10:40:02 pm

I don't have the actual site in questions up, so I don't have that.
But here's a snip of the preview site:

sitesample.jpg

The left column is working fine. If you'll look about halfway down the right column, you'll see the text "SEARCH Clip 1." That's the highest it will go in that column; I want it all the way to the top.

Again, if you hit return in the text on the left column, the right column will line break with it. It seems like they're connected somehow. The columns are separate; it seems like the text would be as well, and I'd be able to place in each column exactly as I want.

Return to posts index

Curtis Thompson
on Sep 28, 2009 at 10:50:36 pm

hello...

unfortunately, w/o seeing actual code, it's pretty hard to offer any type of solution - try your table alignment and make sure it's set to valign="top" in that right cell...

sitruc

Return to posts index

Brad Jayne
on Sep 28, 2009 at 11:19:25 pm

Hey Curtis,

Really appreciate your help with this. Here's the code for that table:

<table width="780" align="center" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0" border="0"> <tr> <td background="body bkgd 1.gif" width="24" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0" border="0"> </td> <td background="body bkgd 2.gif" width="576" border="0" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0"><font face="Trebuchet MS" size="3" ><FONT color="#34161a" spacing ="22" line><FONT face=Verdana color=#ffffff size=1>test</FONT><BR><STRONG>Grammy Winner Mark Bryan Joins The CFP Team</STRONG><BR><font face="Verdana" size="1" line space="10"><FONT color=#34161a>Grammy-winning and multi-platinum recording artist Mark Bryan has joined the CFP team, with an agreement for Mark to act as music supervisor of the company's independent feature-film project, <EM>Warrior</EM>. <BR><BR>Bryan, a founding member of the popular rock This gives (director) Brad and me a chance to vibe on our mutual love of the South, and all of its various sounds and styles to create something truly unique and powerful." <BR><BR> "Mark has the background that is absolutely essential to this position," said Jayne. "He's got the imaginative ear and tendency toward quality, tone-inducing scores and arrangements, but also knows the logistics of the industry and music publishing world. That's key, especially given how unique and diverse the soundtrack will be."<BR> </FONT></font></FONT></font> <font face="Trebuchet MS" size="3" ><FONT color="#34161a" spacing ="22" line><FONT face=Verdana color=#ffffff size=1>te<BR><BR>st</FONT><BR><STRONG>SEARCH Selected for 2009 INPUT Public Television Showcase</STRONG><BR><font face="Verdana" size="1" line space="10"><FONT color=#34161a>CFP's principal Brad Jayne's independent short film SEARCH has been selected for the 2009 INPUT International Public Television Showcase, taking place this year in Warsaw, Poland. <BR><BR>"This is a highly-competitive event, with big-budgeted national projects vying for the honor," said CFP Publicity Director Doug Coupe. "The fact that Brad's small, no-budget film was considered at that level speak volumes to the talent and creativity we're working with." <BR><BR>The short film was made eligible for inclusion by its broadcast on several PBS affiliates.<BR><BR><BR> <BR> </FONT></font></FONT></font></FONT></font></FONT></font> </td> <td background="body bkgd 3.gif" width="24" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0" border="0"> </td> <td background="body bkgd 4.gif" width="138" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0" border="0"> <table> <tr> <td><font face="verdana" font size="1">SEARCH Clip 1</FONT> </td> </tr> </table> </td> <td background="body bkgd 5.gif" width="18" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0" border="0"> </td> </tr> <tr></TD></tr> </table></TABLE> <table width="760" height="24" align="center" bordercolor="#000000" border ="4" cellpadding="2" cellspacing="0" bgcolor="#000000" bottom> <tr><td> <P align=center><font face="verdana" color="#ffffff" align="center" font size="1"></FONT></P></td> </tr> </table>

Return to posts index

Curtis Thompson
on Sep 29, 2009 at 4:32:18 pm

hello...

ya - you need to add some align and valign attributes to your td tags, and also remove the unneeded cellpadding, cellspacing and border attributes for those same td tags (the latter 3 attributes only apply to a table tag)...

you can brush up on td and table tags here:

http://www.w3schools.com/TAGS/tag_td.asp

once you get the align stuff set up, it should work...

sitruc

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]