FORUMS: list search recent posts

Video color different in Firefox and Safari

COW Forums : Web Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jim Bromley
Video color different in Firefox and Safari
on Sep 16, 2009 at 2:33:17 am

Hi Guys,

I'm a video editor having a problem with some videos I have created being displayed differently in different browsers.

I've created a series of 853 x 480 H.264 videos. When I look at these videos in Firefox, they look like they should, but when viewed in Safari, the videos appear slightly lighter and desaturated. The difference is not dramatic to the untrained eye but it's driving me crazy. Is this a common issue, for video colors to vary from browser to browser? If I mention the problem to my web designer are there scripts he can implement to make up for the difference? Thanks for any insights...

-Jim

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcow
Mike Smith
Re: Video color different in Firefox and Safari
on Sep 16, 2009 at 8:34:21 am

Safari has colour management (which is optional in Firefox, though I believe rarely used). So image display in Safari will be affected by any colour profiles attached to the images. Does your video come with a colour profile? Do these articles help ... ?
http://www.gballard.net/psd/go_live_page_profile/embeddedJPEGprofiles.html
http://css-tricks.com/color-rendering-difference-firefox-vs-safari/
http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1067675
http://forums.macrumors.com/archive/index.php/t-480481.html

Return to posts index

Fernando Mol
on Sep 16, 2009 at 1:46:01 pm

Jim, can you post a link to your site?

What is true is that Mac monitors have a different gamma display than Windows monitors (Mac is brighter), but that wouldn't be a "Safari only" problem.

*Remember to share a link to your site and to rate the posts. This is a free service for you and for us.

Return to posts index

Mike Smith
on Sep 16, 2009 at 7:08:13 pm

Hi Fernando

The Safari only issue is likely to be colour management; no other browser supports it as a default, at least to date (and maybe not in the near future.)

If Jim is using a Quicktime app to encode his H264 files then very likely they come with a colour profile attached. If that colour profile is not sRGB, then a profile-aware browser (Safari) will render the videos with perhaps different colours or look from those rendered by other browsers. The links above give a little more background to this.

Of course this may not be Jim's issue.

Return to posts index

Fernando Mol
on Sep 16, 2009 at 10:52:04 pm

True, also I have just read newer Macs doesn't have the gamma variation.

*Remember to share a link to your site and to rate the posts. This is a free service for you and for us.

Return to posts index

Mike Smith
on Sep 21, 2009 at 2:19:38 pm

Thanks for the update on that. Fernando. I'd missed that OSX v 10.6 (and, I guess, upwards) have gone over to 2.2 gamma as a default. There's Apple stuff on this at http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3712

Return to posts index

Jim Bromley
on Sep 24, 2009 at 5:21:14 pm

Hi guys,

Thanks for all your help and information. Unfortunately I can't provide a link for you to see it with your own eyes as the site hasn't officially launched yet.

I'm going to be working with the web designer next week on some things and this is a big one on our to-do list, I think we'll be able to find the solution with all of this new information. Thanks again!

-Jim

Return to posts index

Ben Rickert
on Apr 15, 2013 at 7:08:54 pm

Hey everyone - If possible, I'd like to revive an old thread and see if a definitive solution was ever found...

Does anyone have a workflow that actually solves this or will Safari always display my Vimeo clips with less contrast/color (i.e. "washed out" or "lighter") than Firefox with both H.264 or X.264?

I've read countless articles for hours and see people blaming H.264 gamma shifts, color profiles and Apple's gamma changes. Solutions I've read about (and tried) involve the X.264 codec, changing intermediate codecs, or modifying the source footage to look better in Safari, but I'd rather not make it look dark in Firefox by doing this. These are a lot of factors and perhaps I have just not found the "right" combination yet, but my videos still look washed out in Safari and fine in Firefox after uploading to Vimeo. (Sadly, I can't post images due to confidentiality agreements.) The footage all looks great in FCP, Quicktime, VLC ,etc., but is immediately lighter and desaturated once online with Vimeo... Any input would be appreciated - thanks.

My system:
Mac OSX 10.6.8
Final Cut Studio 7 (Compressor 3.5.3)
Quicktime Pro 7.6.6

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]