FORUMS: list search recent posts

CMS recommendation

COW Forums : Web Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Pat HooverCMS recommendation
by on Aug 19, 2009 at 6:49:37 pm

As of late we've been having clients ask us about CMS and have been looking into finding a CMS that will work for us. We use dreamweaver to create our websites and then use go daddy to upload them.

An issue that I keep running into is that most of the CMS out there seem like they work if you have your own server and host your site there.

So my question is do any cows know a CMS that may suit our needs? Ideally we create the site in dreamweaver, implement the CMS, and lastly upload to godaddy. If the customer spots something they want to change, whether text or image, they are able to log in and make the change. After they change it, they re-upload to godaddy.

Feel free to point out any mistakes in my logic or educate me on such :)

Return to posts index

Curtis ThompsonRe: CMS recommendation
by on Aug 19, 2009 at 6:54:32 pm

well - if you use a cms, you're more likely to work directly in the cms as opposed to doing work in dreamweaver. you might do a custom design in dreamweaver and export the html to the cms, but you'll have to plug in cms-specific tags to get the actual cms content to appear in your design...

[Pat Hoover] "An issue that I keep running into is that most of the CMS out there seem like they work if you have your own server and host your site there. "

i'm not quite following this one - do you mean a hosted cms? there are some, but there are a lot that you would download and run on your own site - ones like expression engine or drupal...

as for which one you should use - it's a tough thing to say. people who have used one or another will likely say that one vs. another one. i will say that drupal, while free, is the kitchen sink of cms and you'll likely find it somewhat overwhelming. expression engine is a nice one but not free. there are others too, but your best is to download any one you can and give it a try if you can to get used to how they work...

hope that helps!

Return to posts index

Patrick OrtmanRe: CMS recommendation
by on Nov 1, 2009 at 1:17:46 am

We're a Los Angeles website design company that's been around for a looooong time, and our favorite CMSs right now are MODx (great for designers) and a new custom solution we've built on top of Adobe's new Business Catalyst system.

That second option may work really well for you in the next few months, because hopefully Adobe will be supporting it in a big way, and you already have a plug in for it that lets you use Dreamweaver for a lot of the design tasks you'll need to do. It's pretty sweet.

Joomla sucks, because it puts nasty tables in your pages. WordPress has possibilities, if your needs are pretty basic. But it sounds like the Adobe solution (coming soon) will be best for you.

Web and Video Design

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved