FORUMS: list search recent posts

viewing a page

COW Forums : Web Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Susan Wilcoxviewing a page
by on Aug 12, 2009 at 3:15:21 am

I am new to webpage design but I know html and css. I work on a Mac mini. I have downloaded a template to my harddrive, opened TextEdit, changed the setting to "plain text" and then opened the index.html file to make a change. Then, when I access that changed file in Safari, it shows me the TextEdit version with the change, not the formatted one. This seems so simple, but it doesn't work. What am I missing?

Susan

Return to posts index

Curtis ThompsonRe: viewing a page
by on Aug 12, 2009 at 3:27:30 am

hello...

did text edit change the extension of the file to .txt? if so you'll need to remove that...

sitruc

Return to posts index

Susan WilcoxRe: viewing a page
by on Aug 12, 2009 at 3:47:11 am

No, it didn't change the extension to .txt but to .html. However, I have just discovered that TextEdit strips all coding from the document by making it a "plain text" document. so that is exactly the problem, it is no longer referencing the style.css stylesheet! How do I put the html web document in a text editor that I can preserve the codes from the template and make changes?

I appreciate your help on this. I'll be happy if I can just play with code. I don't want to take the time to learn GoLive or another program.

Susan

Full Duck Productions

Return to posts index

Curtis ThompsonRe: viewing a page
by on Aug 12, 2009 at 4:15:52 am

hello...

if you go to the format menu in plain text and say "make plain text" then it will be a non-rtf doc and you should be able to save it as a plain text html file...

sitruc

Return to posts index

by on Aug 12, 2009 at 4:24:30 am

Yes, I did that, but it also stripped out all the codes so that the style sheet wasn't referenced and none of the formating was there. So I came up with another work-around! I opened the file in the browser and went to "View Source." That showed me all the coding and text. I copied that and put it into TextEdit, already set for plain text. Then I had a file I could edit and all the coding was there!

Thanks for encouraging me to wrestle with this! It feels so good when an answer comes through the mist!

Susan

Full Duck Productions

Return to posts index

Mike SmithRe: viewing a page
by on Aug 12, 2009 at 9:28:47 am

You'll want a link or import statement, like one or other of these two, in the head of your html document.

< link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="yourstyle.css" />

Or, alternatively,
<style type="text/css">
@import url(yourstyle.css);
</style>

Of course you also need to have the css file uploaded and in the folder where the link refers to it. To preview locally in Safari from the file on your hard disc, you'll want to save a copy the css file into the same local folder / relative path where you saved the local copy of the html.

If you can't make this work, maybe post a link to where your page is.

Return to posts index

by on Aug 12, 2009 at 12:52:54 pm

Good point, because that could do it too! However, I do have the css file in the same folder. And it is working now.

I haven't put the site up yet as I'm just getting started. Thanks for responding. These points not only help me but may help someone else!

Susan

Full Duck Productions

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]