FORUMS: list search recent posts

Slices, rollovers, pictures, and fonts

COW Forums : Web Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
April HillSlices, rollovers, pictures, and fonts
by on Jul 17, 2009 at 7:01:46 am

I'm finishing up teaching myself web design with a new website I'm about to make public, and have a few concluding questions -- (if anyone wants to check out the site, would love feedback! http://www.macncheeseproductions.com)

1. Are most websites not created via the slice method? I'm asking because I feel like my site is the only one that when loading/refreshing, you see the individual slices flash on screen, which I feel gives it an unprofessional feel. Was there something I could've done to prevent this and still use the slice method? Or a different method that's recommended?

2. My rollovers stay up longer than I would like, sometimes for a few seconds after I've gone off of an image. Is there a way to control this?

3. If pictures are slow to load, is a way to make them load faster to optimize them in Image Ready at a lower quality?

4. (If I should post this in DW, let me know) Changing font size/style in Dreamweaver often gives me fits. No matter how many times I select a certain size, the selected font refuses to change. I'm sure it's just because I haven't done something right, but I can't figure out what that something is. Is this a common problem?

Thanks a million -

MAC OSX 10.5.6
1.8 GHz Power PC iMAC G5
768 MB DDR SDRAM

MAC OSX 10.5.2
2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo MacBookPro
2 GB MHz DDR2 SDRAM

LaCie d2 Extreme 160GB 7200 RPM 8MB Buffer
LaCie Big Disk 380GB
FCP 6.0.5

Return to posts index

Fernando MolRe: Slices, rollovers, pictures, and fonts
by on Jul 19, 2009 at 8:09:57 pm

1- Slices are good and simple if you don't understand coding and need to make your own site fast, without hiring someone else to do it with code.

2- Your rollovers work OK in my computer.

3- Your pictures are huge. Be sure you have a backup of your original images and then, in Dreamweaver, select one image. Go to the properties panel at the bottom of your screen and look for the little image icon with a circular arrow. If you stop your cursor a tooltip will appear showing the "resample image" text. Click on it and DW will warn you that you are about to change the image for good and there is no undo for that (that's why you need to backup your images first). Click OK and now your image will be small enough for the web. Do this on every image and upload them again.

4- Font sizes are managed by CSS in Dreamweaver. If you are an Illustrator of Photoshop user you probably are trying to play with the font sizes in the properties panel. This will create a CSS mess. Read the CSS tutorial, here in the COW, to get a better idea on how to work with CSS. If you still have a question you can ask again.

Return to posts index

April HillRe: Slices, rollovers, pictures, and fonts
by on Jul 20, 2009 at 9:09:53 pm

Thanks, big help! (What a difference that resampling button makes...)

One of these days I'll have to teach myself coding, that slice thing is annoying!

Will look over the CSS info -

MAC OSX 10.5.6
1.8 GHz Power PC iMAC G5
768 MB DDR SDRAM

MAC OSX 10.5.2
2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo MacBookPro
2 GB MHz DDR2 SDRAM

LaCie d2 Extreme 160GB 7200 RPM 8MB Buffer
LaCie Big Disk 380GB
FCP 6.0.5

Return to posts index

Fernando MolRe: Slices, rollovers, pictures, and fonts
by on Jul 20, 2009 at 9:49:08 pm

I used slices once, and they are a simple and nice method, but limited.

Flexible designs always come in CSS.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]