FORUMS: list search recent posts

Website legalities

COW Forums : Web Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Hoss SarbazWebsite legalities
by on May 29, 2009 at 8:11:05 pm

I'm developing a website that is like a directory for local restaurants and businesses.

My question is what are the legalities of listing their business information such as thier logo and contact info and general information for the public.

Phase 1 of the development is to just publish the website to build traffic and maybe 6 months down the line bring in revenue from ads once I have the traffic.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Curtis ThompsonRe: Website legalities
by on May 29, 2009 at 8:26:27 pm

hello...

if their logo is online and in electronic format, you can use it with a reference to their business, and their contact info (address, phone, etc) is public domain info...

they might object if you took a picture of a logo on their storefront and tried to post it because of potential image quality issues, but even that wouldn't be a legal issue so much as the restaurant themselves not liking the quality of the picture...

an example - on my company's site, we have a press section that lists places that have done articles about us - we put the logo of the source along with the link, and that is completely within our rights to do so. the source, however, might not like it if we scanned a magazine cover or something and put that there instead...

hope that helps!

sitruc

Return to posts index

Hoss SarbazRe: Website legalities
by on May 29, 2009 at 10:07:19 pm

Thanks Curtis!

That answered part of my question. Now what if their logo was composited over a bigger image and I screen captured the image with the logo from their website and cropped the image to show the logo and parts of the original image it's composed on?

Do I have to provide a link to their site evern thoug I have their contact info address and venue info listed directly under the logo and image?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Curtis ThompsonRe: Website legalities
by on May 29, 2009 at 10:29:47 pm

hello...

not sure i follow - if their logo is on a bg image on their site and you crop it down, then you should be ok, but if the picture of the logo is copyrighted by somebody then it's probably not.

(although the cropping thing is a bit messy and for the sake of your site, i'd try to get cleaner logos - asking a restaurant site's webmaster for the biz logo because you want to give them free promotion on your site will probably not have too much resistance)

you don't owe them anything resembling a link, however if you are listing local businesses, it would be more complete to give links to their sites so that visitors to your site get more out of it.

sitruc

Return to posts index

Hoss SarbazRe: Website legalities
by on May 30, 2009 at 3:07:14 pm

Thanks Curtis!

Most of the images are graphics with their logos on them. I am going to contact each business just to be on the safe side and your right if I'm giving them free exposure it shouldn't be a big deal for them to send me graphical assets in hi red.

I will let you know how it turns out in case anyone else comes across the same issue!

Best,

Hoss

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]