FORUMS: list search recent posts

Video on Demand

COW Forums : Web Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeff MackVideo on Demand
by on May 26, 2009 at 3:24:00 pm

I am trying to figure out the best workflow to add a library of music video clips to my site. I film a show and edit the sequence into individual songs and encode to H.264. Normally I would create a playlist and add a flash player on the page and publish to my site. Now I am looking into creating a video on demand library with hundreds of shows/playlists. Is there anyway to have a single player and an index of shows so I can minimize the amount of pages on my site. Basically, I upload all of the vids to folder, create a playlist serving that folder and add it to the site. When someone clicks a photo as a hyperlink, it goes to the player page. Then if they want to see another show, they click the back button, go back to the index and select a new show which opens up the same player page and playse the new playlist.

Otherwise, I guess I would need a player page for each show. Hundreds of shows means hundreds of pages.

Jeff

Return to posts index

Curtis ThompsonRe: Video on Demand
by on May 26, 2009 at 3:36:34 pm

hello...

a lot of information missing, but almost any media player will take parameters as to what to play, so it's just a case of building a dynamic page that figures out what playlist to play (db or other variables somewhere) and then renders those as params to the media player...

sitruc

Return to posts index

Jeff MackRe: Video on Demand
by on May 26, 2009 at 3:43:22 pm

I will be happy to give any missing info if I know what is missing. Could you explain how this is done? If this is a classic web page build, I don't know what it is called or how to achieve.

Jeff

Return to posts index

by on May 26, 2009 at 3:42:16 pm

hello...

well - the concept is that you (somewhere) have your playlists stored. so a simple example - let's say you have 3 playlists:

- playlist 1: songs a, b and c
- playlist 2: songs d, e and f
- playlist 3: songs g, h and i

so you could make 3 pages (one for each playlist), or you could use a scripting language like php, asp or the likes and make one page that took a parameter and told it which playlist to play - so like:

mysite.com/player.php?pl=1

and then player.php would get the required playlist (from a source - see below) and put it as parameters in the media player and the media player would play those songs.

the missing info here is:

1. does your media player that you reference take parameters that you can render in the tag for it to tell it what to play? i assume it does somehow

2. how would you store your playlists - you can go fancy and use a database like mysql, or you could use flat text files with csv-esque data strings that your scripting language could read, or you could just make a page with an array of variables in php (or your preferred scripting language) that could be read - so like

$myPlaylists = array();
$myPlaylists["1"][] = "song a";
$myPlaylists["1"][] = "song b";
$myPlaylists["1"][] = "song c";

the above is basic php scripting, but it is something you'd have to get into a bit to pull this off, i'm afraid. i don't know your level of experience in web programming, so i can't say how feasible this would be for you...

sitruc

Return to posts index

Jeff MackRe: Video on Demand
by on May 26, 2009 at 4:02:07 pm

Thanks Curtis,

Well I use Iweb and the JW Player. I am not a web builder at all or programmer should I say. I have learned just enough about Flash to put up simple pages. By that I mean use IWeb and create an HTML Widget and simply install code that I saved and simply changed the variables and reinstall it. I was just thinking that if it were EASY to serve different playlists with one player, sort of "playlists and one player for dummies" then I would try that but the intimidation factor sets in with me rather easily as I don't have time to learn something new - unless it is IWEB EASY!

Thanks

Return to posts index

by on May 26, 2009 at 4:08:11 pm

hello....

well - from the looks of it that is a very robust player so it would be relatively simple to set it up to use dynamic playlists if you have the knowledge on how to do so, but ya - if you are limited to a wysiwyg editor and that's as far as you've gone in web development, you'll likely find it to be quite a challenge, i'm afraid... :-/

sitruc

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]