FORUMS: list search recent posts

Dragging and dropping a video file into the web

COW Forums : Web Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Charlotte WarnerDragging and dropping a video file into the web
by on May 15, 2009 at 6:13:14 pm

If I drag and drop a video file from my hard drive into the net, will that html file live permanently in the web?

Can someone else retrieve it at a future time if I give them the URL?

Are any parts of the contents of the URL (file:///Users/...) indexed for google searches?

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Curtis ThompsonRe: Dragging and dropping a video file into the web
by on May 15, 2009 at 6:16:58 pm

hello...

anything you copy to the internet will live there until you or somebody else removes it - where you copy it is just a computer like yours, only with a publicly-accessible location...

the file:// url is your local box and google will not index it.

hope that helps!

sitruc

Return to posts index

Charlotte WarnerRe: Dragging and dropping a video file into the web
by on May 15, 2009 at 6:30:48 pm

Thanks, Sitruc, it does help.

How do I remove my local files from the web?

Return to posts index

Curtis ThompsonRe: Dragging and dropping a video file into the web
by on May 15, 2009 at 6:34:33 pm

hello...

think of the server on the internet like you would a local external drive. if you have a file on your c: drive, and you plug in a usb drive (as d:) and then copy your file from your c: drive to your d: drive, you then have two copies...

same thing for the server on the net - you copy your file from your local box to that server and then you have 2 copies. if you want to remove the one from the internet server, you log back in and delete it - no relation to your original copy on your c: drive at that point...

sitruc

Return to posts index

Fernando MolRe: Dragging and dropping a video file into the web
by on May 15, 2009 at 6:33:16 pm

I'll just add that if you leave any document on the web (html, ppt, doc, etc) and it has links to other pages or has been indexed once in any search engine, it will continue visible for that search engine even if you are no longer using it on your page.

If you want to have files in your server and you don't want the search engines to index them you can generate a robots.txt file and there tell googleboot or any other spider not to inex your files.

Even if you delete a page it will live for a little more on the Cache of the search engines and it will be accessible for anybody. Consider this if you have important information on the web.

Return to posts index

Charlotte WarnerRe: Dragging and dropping a video file into the web
by on May 15, 2009 at 7:18:29 pm

Wow, I didn't realize that I could do this! Thank you for this advice. I confess that I'm unfamiliar with internet local directories altogether. But I'm starting to see the potential here.

I'm about to mail DVD samples of my videos and wanted to include an HTML backup for each HD video file, and make it accessible only to these receipients, in case they have trouble playing the DVD.

So if I'm understanding all of the above correctly, the recipient can type in the URL address of my local file, and watch that video online.

I'm curious, can they access everything else in my local directory? Or just that URL video file?

Return to posts index

Fernando MolRe: Dragging and dropping a video file into the web
by on May 15, 2009 at 7:52:09 pm

Usually you can't see the contents of a directory unless you have FTP access. If I enter the URL of your folder I will not be able to see anything unless you have an index.htm file there, then I'll see the contents of that html.

But if anybody has access to the direct URL of your file or can guess the names of the documents then that person will be able to see or download them. It's not very common, but it's possible. Let's say you downloaded an important document writing or clicking directly on a URL someone send you. If you are on a public machine, even if you log out from your email account, the direct link from where you downloaded your file will stay on the history of your browser for everyone to use it.

If your link goes to a protected site and the user log out then this is not going to be a problem. But direct links to documents can not be protected.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]