FORUMS: list search recent posts

Learning Web Design

COW Forums : Web Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tamara Ramirez
Learning Web Design
on Mar 24, 2009 at 11:58:55 pm

I am a graphic designer that is expanding into web design. Does anyone know of a quick and cheaper way to learn how to create websites without starting from the beginning. I already know how to create all elements, I just need to know what to use and when to use it (ie: CSS, HTML, ETC.)

Return to posts index

Fernando Mol
Re: Learning Web Design
on Mar 25, 2009 at 1:20:37 am

If you are familiar with Photoshop you can create web pages there.

Look at Abraham's tutorial.

Return to posts index

Tamara Ramirez
on Mar 30, 2009 at 11:37:26 pm

I want to learn how to design from a standpoint of me being able to walk into a firm and say I'm a graphic/web designer. So, I need to be able to make this work in a professional setting. I will check that tutorial out, but I need to know all "in's and out's".

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Bob O Dell
on Mar 31, 2009 at 12:04:36 am

Hi Tamara,
I think I could help you with that. Send me an email and let's see if this could be fast tracked. http://www.sbcfirm.com/apprentice.php

Bob O'Dell
Music Creation/Composition Leader

Return to posts index

Mike Smith
on Mar 31, 2009 at 11:50:52 am

Design - looking like a professional designer will depend on your portfolio and for a starter position perhaps what relevant education you can show.

If you want to join a web design firm, then you'll need to work the way that firm works. You'll probably need Photoshop. There's a big slice of the design-led market that uses Dreamweaver ( http://www.c4lpt.co.uk/Top100Tools/dreamweaver.html ). But there is also a big slice that uses various html editors, working directly in the code.

http://www.csszengarden.com is worth a look, if you are thinking of taking on standards-compliant css / (x)html design - the way of a lot of the present, and probably more of the future. In principle, many modern designers now try to work this way, with css, putting all style information into a separate style sheet called by the html, which holds just the content, structured into divs and other html elements, and using ids and classes to label each element so that the appropriate style can be applied.

But there are also neat tools like xara's web designer - http://www.itreviews.co.uk/software/s730.htm

- which might work for you if your business plan is to go to clients / end users as a designer and produce very fast prototypes, which you might or might not clean up into tidy code before launch ...

Return to posts index

Tamara Ramirez
on Apr 3, 2009 at 1:44:44 am

See, web is so foreign to me I don't really know what I need to know before I am confident in saying I'm a web designer as well. Most company's are asking me if I know HTML. I just need an outline of what these different formats are and when to use them. It is just crazy that a little over a year ago when I got my degree for graphic design, you now have to be a graphic/web designer to appeal to a company at this tough economic time.

I will check out all those links and piece together what makes sense to me. Thank you so much for your time/help!

Return to posts index

Fernando Mol
on Apr 3, 2009 at 3:03:23 pm

Hi, Tamara, here some ideas that may help you.

If you are a designer, then you know first you need content.

If you have to design an ad for a new car. The client then give you the tag line, the text, the picture of the car, the contact information, maybe a list of benefits. Then you put them in logical order, give them structure and integrate all of them in a beautiful printed ad.

For a web page first you need the content too. Then, in HTML you put it in logical order and give it structure.

HTML are just a bunch of tags. One for a header, one for each paragraph, one if you want to display an image, another for the links.

Then, you use CSS to make those tags beautiful.

You need the font of your header to be big and pink? Make a CSS rule for the header. You need to place an image in the background? Make another CSS rule.

For a graphic designer this will be the very essential. Of course, you need to master image generation software, like Photoshop or Illustrator, but I'm sure you already are .

Many Graphic Designers learn flash, but Flash is more for animation and multimedia.

The rest of the web stuff is more for developers, but with time you may get into it (javascript, php, etc.)

I hope this basic ideas can help you.

Return to posts index

Tamara Ramirez
on Apr 9, 2009 at 7:55:37 pm

This helped A LOT! Thanks so much.

I now understand what HTML and CSS are, now I have to go about learning how to use them. Is there any resources that YOU have used that have basic HTML tags and CSS rules? Once I get those, I would plug them in via Dreamweaver, correct?

So much to learn, so little time!

Thank you again...

Return to posts index

Fernando Mol
on Apr 10, 2009 at 12:49:23 am

I learned HTML in the middle 90's. The sources I read don't exist anymore. But you can take a look at http://www.w3schools.com

I don't remember learning CSS in only one place. It was a more complex process than HTML because I already have learned how to style pages using only HTML and I have to re-learn many things.

You can take a look at Abraham's tutorial about CSS, here in the COW.

Return to posts index

Curtis Thompson
on Apr 10, 2009 at 12:57:23 am

hello...

one response i would toss out here is that while we love to help on specific things, this is sort of like asking your car mechanic how to fix your car. it's not as simple as a single set of steps...it takes a long time to learn everything and become proficient in the field, so it's hard for us to say "oh to learn web development, just do X"... :-/

but we're glad to help however we can...all we ask is for people to imagine what it would take to teach somebody what they do and keep in mind that it's no different here...

sitruc

Return to posts index

Fernando Mol
on Apr 10, 2009 at 5:58:22 am

I totally agree with you, Curtis. A simple post will hardly give you a road map to all the knowledge the web is about. Oh, man, I would love to learn how to fix my car in a single post!

But for you, Tamara, I can suggest to be active in the forum. Read the posts and try, if you can, to help others.

Nobody knows everything and everybody knows something. In the sharing you will learn.

Return to posts index

Tamara Ramirez
on Apr 13, 2009 at 10:03:13 pm

All I'm doing here, asking so many questions, is to whittle down what i am completely ignorant about. I don't even know where to start and all of you being helpful at this point is greatly appreciated. I don't expect myself to learn through these forums, just to get a broad idea of what direction to point in.

I will do exactly the same for someone that may not know anything about a subject I know like the back of my hand.

Thanks for all the responses! It is definitely not unappreciated.

Return to posts index

Fernando Mol
on Apr 13, 2009 at 11:11:50 pm

You're welcome, Tamara

And welcome to the Cowmunity.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]