FORUMS: list search recent posts

What's MS Access doing here?

COW Forums : Web Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Fernando MolWhat's MS Access doing here?
by on Mar 20, 2009 at 4:53:52 am

Hi, all

A client of mine made this little application using Microsoft Access.

Now he want it to be online, so the users can add information to the database (users on different locations, of course).

I thought exporting the database and rewriting the forms for the web (PHP, MySQL) could be the best solution. But what he is asking me to do is to share the database so the users can access it online with MS Access.

Honestly, it doesn't sound like the best solution to me, but I don't know that software very well so I may be wrong.

Thank you for any advice.

Return to posts index

Curtis ThompsonRe: What's MS Access doing here?
by on Mar 20, 2009 at 9:47:32 pm

hello...

(note that this response is all based on my experience with office 2k3 and before - this could have changed more recently)

[Fernando Mol] "But what he is asking me to do is to share the database so the users can access it online with MS Access."

you can't share an access db online like that - technically you can't even open an access db from a drive that is different than the one access is installed on. they could all download, change and upload back, but naturally that's not very thread-safe... :-/

you can connect to it with php and the access db calls, but even there if user A has the table open for reading or writing, no other users can access it then. but in terms of letting people interact with it online, it would have to be php or some other related language...

hope that helps!

sitruc

Return to posts index

Fernando MolRe: What's MS Access doing here?
by on Mar 21, 2009 at 2:56:43 am

Thank you, Curtis.

I have been searching the web for answers and I have not found anything conclusive. What you say is really helpful.

My client has heard from somebody (probably a friend) that the process was very easy. Probably his friend was talking about exporting and sharing a report, not the database.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]