FORUMS: list search recent posts

PDF file..

COW Forums : Web Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jesse Soober
PDF file..
on Feb 20, 2009 at 9:47:28 pm

Hello,
I dont know if this is the right place to ask this, but I have a PDF file and a couple .doc files that I need to put on my site and make them printable, so how do I go about that? I dont think I can open the .doc files on my computer, but I have another computer that can open them, so whats the best way to get them on my site?
I hope this makes sense and I'm sorry if this is the wrong place to post this.

Thanks,
Jesse

Return to posts index

Fernando Mol
Re: PDF file..
on Feb 21, 2009 at 1:12:59 am

You can place a direct link to your document.

<a href=http://www.yourpage.com/docs/yourdoc.doc>download the doc</a>

Why can't you open a .doc file?

If you don't have MS Office, you can download Open Office for free.

Return to posts index

Jesse Soober
on Feb 21, 2009 at 1:15:35 am

Ok, well the owner of the site emailed the docs to me and told me to put them on. I'm on a Mac, so can I still download the Open Office? And how do I download the docs to the website?

Thanks

Return to posts index

Fernando Mol
on Feb 21, 2009 at 2:00:55 am

You need to "upload" the documents to your server.

How are you managing the site? Are you FTP connecting with Dreamweaver? If not, you can google for some free FTP manager. Upload your docs to your server and add the links to your HTML pages.

You can find a Mac version of Open Office in http://www.openoffice.org/

Return to posts index

Jesse Soober
on Feb 21, 2009 at 5:17:33 pm

Ok, I downloaded Open Office and I can open the docs now, so how do I go about uploading them to the site? I'm FTP connecting with Dreamweaver to manage the site.

Thanks

Return to posts index

Curtis Thompson
on Feb 21, 2009 at 5:23:08 pm

hello...

a web server is just like your computer with a file structure. all web pages exist in a directory on that server. impossible for us to theorize where outside of a few traditional locations, but since we don't know the os or other info, we can't say.

i guarantee that the host for your account has instructions on their site as to how to ftp up content to your site - best plan for you is to follow those docs and you'll be good to go.

sitruc

Return to posts index

Fernando Mol
on Feb 21, 2009 at 5:36:42 pm

Place your docs inside your site folder.

In Dreamweaver go to the files panel (if it's not open just click F8). Be sure the drop down menu in the middle of your files panel is in "local view".

Select your document.

Close to the upper right corner of the files panel there is a blue upper arrow button. Click on it.

A window will pop up giving you some feedback of the process.

After a few seconds it will close.

That's all. Your files are in your server.

Return to posts index

Fernando Mol
on Feb 21, 2009 at 5:39:19 pm

Curtis is right.

I'm assuming you already have configured your site in Dreamweaver to FTP connect.

Are you?

Return to posts index

Jesse Soober
on Feb 24, 2009 at 10:28:14 pm

Those are really helpful links, thank you!
So my question now is, what is the best way to put my files on my page? They are for a competition. One of them is a list of the classes in the competition(.doc), one is an entry form for a competition(.doc) and one is a release form for the competition(.pdf). All of which I could imagine people would want to print, but I'm not sure if they would need to read them online.

I'm really new at this kind of stuff and am totally lost. I have no idea how I should go about all of this. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Return to posts index

Fernando Mol
on Feb 25, 2009 at 12:18:54 am

You may want to put some information online and then a link to the printable document.

Return to posts index

Jesse Soober
on Feb 25, 2009 at 9:14:02 pm

How do I link to the document to make it print? Should it just ask the user if they want to open or save the document and then they can print it from there or is there another way or?

Sorry for all the questions, I'm very new at working with these kinds of files.

Thanks

Return to posts index

Curtis Thompson
on Feb 25, 2009 at 11:29:16 pm

hello...

google is your friend - you are on the very basics here with web stuff. if you put a file on your server and the user clicks to download it, they have a copy. then they can open it and do what they want with it.

you need to make a link in your page:

<a href="/path/to/foo.doc">click to download foo.doc</a>

this is the html needed. if you are having a hard time, i suggest googling up some basics on html (there are endless resources out there that we can't replicate here) or pick up a book at the store...

not trying to be snarky - just honest. us teaching you one thing at a time won't end up in you learning the bigger concepts, so best to find a start to finish resource out there...

sitruc

Return to posts index

Jesse Soober
on Feb 27, 2009 at 8:31:23 pm

Ok, thanks very much it works now.

And I'll definitely try google, thanks!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]