FORUMS: list search recent posts

IWeb inefficient?

COW Forums : Web Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeff MackIWeb inefficient?
by on Feb 11, 2009 at 9:50:26 pm

I produce my pages in IWeb because of the ease of the program. My latest is I was told the reason the page loads slow is that IWeb is inefficient in the structuring of its tempaltes and such. IE. using png's instead of jpg's and when you place items in tables and such it creates an absolute location. I don't know if I am saying that right or not but does anyone have an idea why my pages open slowly and what I can do to fix it? I am getting rready to upoad about 300 30 second .flv's and I will need to add that many links. I will store the files on a streaming server.

Return to posts index

Fernando MolRe: IWeb inefficient?
by on Feb 11, 2009 at 10:53:18 pm

Even if you use the same PNG format iWeb generated, opening it in Photoshop and using Save for Web and Devices will reduce the size to a half.

WYSWYG web software usually puts some extra code, but that's not necessarily a download issue.

Return to posts index

Jeff MackRe: IWeb inefficient?
by on Feb 11, 2009 at 11:23:09 pm

Do you mean open the HTML pages in photoshop or just all of the indiovidual images?

Return to posts index

by on Feb 11, 2009 at 11:57:52 pm

You need to open the files in photoshop to replace them.

If you choose to save the images in GIF or JPEG format you'll need to go to your HTML and change the name of your files there. If you save them again in PNG, just replace them.

Remember not to "Save As" in Photoshop, instead, open the "Save for Web and Devices" tool. It lets you see different options at the same time to visualize the results for image quality and file size.

Return to posts index

by on Feb 13, 2009 at 4:18:25 am

JPEG - is very good to compress photographic images. This format was born to compress pictures. Not designed specifically for internet. The best options if your image have gradients. Recommended for photographs.

GIF - CompuServe GIF was created for internet. Very good compressing images of less of 256 colors. Supported animation. Recommended for lineart images.

PNG - Not supported in old browsers (guess which one), but it has some unique characteristics, like alpha transparency and lossless compression. Recommended for images with complex transparency or text.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved