FORUMS: list search recent posts

testing on ie6

COW Forums : Web Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David LAbbe
testing on ie6
on Feb 4, 2009 at 6:06:17 am

I am running IE7.....what is the best way to test my site on IE6? Is there software for this? I am running vista.

I have seen some sites offering a service where you can test on a wide range of browsers...how are they and do they work?

thanks

Return to posts index

Fernando Mol
Re: testing on ie6
on Feb 4, 2009 at 1:45:46 pm

I believe there's no way to run IE6 on Vista. But this site will create snapshots of your page in different browsers:

http://browsershots.org/

Return to posts index

Curtis Thompson
on Feb 4, 2009 at 3:33:34 pm

hello...

alas on vista there are fewer options - on xp, there was a fantastic tool created that i still use that lets me run ie7 and ie6 side by side:

http://tredosoft.com/Multiple_IE

see the bottom of the article under notes and release info for more on vista- they have some really good information there...

or, as you mentioned, you can use 3rd party services, but definitely track through the above info first.

another option (and keep this in mind if you go the 3rd party route) is a very slimmed down older box running xp - you can get a kvm switcher for $100 or so, and the box itself wouldn't be much more than a few hundred...if you are doing web development on an ongoing basis, that few hundred now would likely save a lot over paying a 3rd party to view stuff in the browser there...

hope that helps!

sitruc

Return to posts index

Fernando Mol
on Feb 4, 2009 at 3:56:52 pm

Nice tip. I have an old computer with IE6 but now I think I can use that space for a fishbowl.

I tested the Multiple IE tool and it crashed sometimes, but definitely does it's job.

Return to posts index

Curtis Thompson
on Feb 4, 2009 at 4:03:46 pm

hello...

[Fernando Mol] "Nice tip. I have an old computer with IE6 but now I think I can use that space for a fishbowl. "

:-)

i've had ie crash on me a few times in the almost a year that i've had both on my box, but not really anything outside what i'd normally expect...i've been very happy with it...

(a depressingly large number of people still seem to run ie6 - i have no idea honestly how you manage that any more, as most microsoft systems come with automatic updates turned on, meaning that you would be getting nagged constantly to upgrade it, i'd think - i guess not though)

sitruc

Return to posts index

Patrick Ortman
on Mar 9, 2009 at 7:30:56 pm

Also don't forget browsercam.com. It's expensive, but if you build websites for a living it's worth it.

On our Macs, we use Browsercam and connect via Chicken of the VNC.

On a side note, it looks like IE 6 is finally dying. Thank God. It's only 7 years old...

---------------------
http://www.patrickortman.com
Web and Video Design

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]