FORUMS: list search recent posts

Creating Online Store for Downloadable Media

COW Forums : Web Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andrew SaligaCreating Online Store for Downloadable Media
by on Jan 22, 2009 at 10:05:58 pm

I'm looking to create a website (or have one created) that will allow me to sell video clips. The videos will be delivered via download. How is this achieved on the backend? What is the level of difficulty?

Does anyone know where I can find a tutorial?

Return to posts index

Fernando MolRe: Creating Online Store for Downloadable Media
by on Jan 24, 2009 at 3:48:56 am

An Online store is a very big topic.

If you already know how to make an application and manage the payment (paypal and google have some relatively simple solutions) you need to choose what you want to give back to the buyer.

Will it be a membership? You should register them in a database so they can access and download your special material via username and password. Or are you going to send them a link to directly download the material?

The level of difficulty is big if you are just familiar with HTML and CSS. You need to work with some programming language(PHP, Cold Fusion, ASP...) and you need to know how to use databases.

Even the most popular "ready made" tools to do this require you understand a minimum of any the required language.

PHP is a popular language and it's free, but not intuitive. You can use a MySQL database that is free too. Many web hosting services support them, but you need to check with your provider.

What is your level as a programmer?

Return to posts index

Andrew SaligaRe: Creating Online Store for Downloadable Media
by on Jan 24, 2009 at 10:43:33 pm

I figured it was a big undertaking that would involve a lot of back end.

As for programming, I don't know any PHP or Cold Fusion, etc.. I've been looking into some prefab online shopping carts. You're saying that they will require a certain amount of programming knowledge too? I realize I have to check with my hosting provider to make sure they'll support it.

-Andrew Saliga

Return to posts index

Fernando MolRe: Creating Online Store for Downloadable Media
by on Jan 25, 2009 at 2:40:28 am

You need certain knowledge at least for the installation, but many programs come with good support.

One free and popular option is osCommerce, but there are many.

Return to posts index

Andrew SaligaRe: Creating Online Store for Downloadable Media
by on Jan 27, 2009 at 3:56:41 pm

Ok. Great. I'll check it out.

Thanks for your help.

-Andrew Saliga

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]