FORUMS: list search recent posts

Quicktime, Safari, and disabled Javascript Events, can anyone shed some light on this?

COW Forums : Web Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joe ClayQuicktime, Safari, and disabled Javascript Events, can anyone shed some light on this?
by on Dec 23, 2008 at 7:58:49 pm

I'm working with a really complicated setup on my test server. I'm using jQuery to dim things when a quicktime movie is being played (the quicktime is embedded with a poster image to start it). Rather than add an event listener, I'm using getRate() in combination with certain events to determine when to un-dim the content.

My only problem is that other hover events should still work while the quicktime is playing. However, Quicktime on Safari functions almost like ActiveX in IE in that clicking on a quicktime kind of brings you into it's own little world where events stop functioning. Hovering over links won't even bring up the hand cursor.

This happens, even on the current bare bones version of my site. If you run the mouse over the top links, you'll see that they highlight. If you click the quicktime and do the same thing, they won't. But, if you click off the quicktime, even while it's still playing, and you mouse over them again, it will work! Does anyone know any way around this? I know Javascript events still work because in my jQuery versions the stuff dims afterwards—instead of a smooth animation it pops in Safari if the QT hasn't loaded yet for some reason, but it's fine in Firefox. I've tried blur() and focus() on different elements. Does anyone have any other ideas on things I could try? I've scoured the internet at various times over the last few days.

Also, as a side note, does anyone know why using animate() in Firefox with a png results in occasional blips of the background through a QT if they overlap?

Anyone who could help with any of these problems please let me know!

Joe Clay

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved