FORUMS: list search recent posts

CSS versus Tables

COW Forums : Web Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tim Flora
CSS versus Tables
on Dec 14, 2008 at 5:31:35 pm

I am pretty new to all this, but have a basic understanding of how tables work, as well as CSS style rules (in terms of fonts, colors) as well as tags for body and anchor. I understand how linking these external sheets to your pages can help with changes, etc. My question is, how does CSS benefit when it comes to page layout (div tags?) compared to tables.

Right now my current work flow is to design in Photoshop, as I am comfortable there, then slice everything up and import into Dreamweaver, which sees it as a table layout. For the areas used for text or flash movies, I set the slice as "no image" and match the BG color for the slices to the surrounding area on the page. I then insert the outside content and use image swaps for the rollovers.

I guess my general question is, from a photoshop to Dreamweaver work flow is what I'm doing the correct method, or would incorporating more CSS layout techniques be a better idea?

Thanks

http://www.filmeditingtips.blogspot.com

Return to posts index

Curtis Thompson
Re: CSS versus Tables
on Dec 14, 2008 at 8:50:57 pm

hello...

depends on whom you talk to - some designers think that table html is stupid and outdated and the wrong way to do things. others (and i tend to fall in this camp) don't see much wrong with table html and think that it's a lot easier than trying to deal with all the nuances/bugs/differences/etc. in css...

since i do fall in the latter, i think the way you're doing it is fine...

sitruc

Return to posts index

Abraham Chaffin
on Dec 15, 2008 at 5:28:33 pm

Curtis,

I fall under the same category and agree 100%. Strangely enough though, you're the first person I've heard share this vantage point.

Abraham

Return to posts index

Curtis Thompson
on Dec 15, 2008 at 5:35:47 pm

hello...

ya - we do seem to be in the minority, although i did find this site amusing when it was pointed out to me a while back...

http://www.giveupandusetables.com/

:-)

sitruc

Return to posts index

Abraham Chaffin
on Dec 15, 2008 at 5:47:39 pm

lol

That's too funny

Abraham

Return to posts index

Fernando Mol
on Jan 7, 2009 at 5:38:18 am

I used to design all in tables, now I use CSS.

There are so many little tricks in CSS and the learning curve is kind of slow, but it's really more efficient at the end. Not in therms of first time makeup, but to do changes.

It is super easy to make your web page look good for print and mobiles. Also SEO love semantic HTML.

Sometimes you have to use a table here and there but, if you have the time, give CSS a try.

Look CSS in action in http://www.csszengarden.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]