FORUMS: list search recent posts

Wordpress, email and message boards?

COW Forums : Web Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rick Pearl
Wordpress, email and message boards?
on Dec 6, 2008 at 6:19:42 pm

I would like to setup a blog to embed a new video podcast on the page as h.264 through the Flash Player. Apparently I can host my domain with Wordpress http://wordpress.com/ but I can not get myname@mydomain.com email hosted through them.

1.) Does anyone have any suggestions for a blog application, one that also ideally has a message board that users can ask questions to?

2.) Does anyone know of a hosting company they could recommend that will host Wordpress and also email? I was trying to stay with Wordpress.com and not a smaller hosting company so I could benefit from the community of users if I have any questions

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Curtis Thompson
Re: Wordpress, email and message boards?
on Dec 8, 2008 at 4:03:02 pm

hello...

any isp that supports php and mysql can host wordpress - you can install it yourself with those in place...not sure of a specific host that offers it pre-installed, but almost all generic isp plans these days will offer you email, php and mysql support for < $10 usd per month...

i personally use webintellects, but others have had a hard time with them...but i've been there probably 8 years now and really can't complain at all...

search the archives of this forum for other discussions on isp recommendations - it comes up a lot...

sitruc

Return to posts index

Rick Pearl
on Dec 8, 2008 at 4:26:56 pm

How do you install Wordpress yourself on your hosted account if it is not an option available already by the host? I can transfer files to a hosting account but surely they do not provide access to install applications, do they?

Thanks for your response.

Return to posts index

Curtis Thompson
on Dec 8, 2008 at 4:30:10 pm

hello...

all wordpress is underneath is some web pages and a database - you can download the install archive, upload it to your server, expand it and you're good to do the install...see here:

http://wordpress.org/download/

they also have a list of isps that they suggest if you don't want to do the install, but it really is trivial to pull off on any server that has php and mysql...

sitruc

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]