FORUMS: list search recent posts

Movie Website Mailing List

COW Forums : Web Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alexander LeeMovie Website Mailing List
by on Dec 4, 2008 at 9:07:17 am

I have a website for my movie in which I want to create a "Subscribe to Mailing List" option which adds e-mail addresses to a database. I'm trying to figure out a solution for that feature and maintain my database. I also want to include an "unsubscribe" link on the mass e-mails that I send out. I realize there are monthly paid e-solutions like Constant Contact, but I was wondering if I could use Address Book, Mail, and some other Mac software to accomplish this goal. I'm also considering making another project's website using Rapidweaver 4. Any info would be much appreciated!

Macbook Pro 2.6ghz
OS 10.5.5

Return to posts index

Abraham ChaffinRe: Movie Website Mailing List
by on Dec 4, 2008 at 4:35:20 pm

You can accomplish this a number of different methods, however if you're going to custom build this, I'd suggest using MySQL for the database and PHP for the scripting. It's going to take a bit of leaning before you can do it fully but using these technologies it's pretty straight forward.

A good starter for MySQL and PHP:

Once you know how to interact properly with your database from your form you can use a free php mailer to send the mail.

Unless your Macbook pro is your web server I would suggest using your web server for all the mailing and database processes rather than trying to do it locally from your machine.

Return to posts index

Alexander LeeRe: Movie Website Mailing List
by on Dec 5, 2008 at 2:39:52 am

This is great info Abraham! I assumed their were some serious web tools for this, and I always wondered what MYSQL and PHP were. I will pass this on to my web designer. She's knowledgeable about graphics design but not so savvy on the technical backbone stuff.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved