FORUMS: list search recent posts

junk email

COW Forums : Web Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Thomas Hughesjunk email
by on Dec 4, 2008 at 12:47:18 am

Like everyone, I get quite a bit of junk email every day, and I always send them to my blocked senders list. I've got one sender who's return email address is my own email address (as though I'm sending junk email to myself)! It's kind of creepy, and I'm reluctant to send them to my blocked senders list. Because I don't send it to my blocked senders list, I'm getting more and more from this source everyday.

Can anyone explain what I should do about this? Should I be concerned that they're able to send emails using my email address and may send them to other people and do damage to me in some way? How do I get rid of this? Tx, -Thomas Hughes

Return to posts index

Abraham ChaffinRe: junk email
by on Dec 4, 2008 at 4:16:22 pm

Putting them in your blocked senders list shouldn't pose a problem for you personally. Even if this did block you, which I don't think it will, it will only reduce the ability to send mail to yourself which generally isn't an issue. Block them and see what happens...

Abraham

Return to posts index

Curtis ThompsonRe: junk email
by on Dec 4, 2008 at 4:24:09 pm

hello...

[Thomas Hughes] "Can anyone explain what I should do about this? Should I be concerned that they're able to send emails using my email address and may send them to other people and do damage to me in some way? How do I get rid of this?"

it's not completely from you (i.e. your mail server) - i can send email to anybody and make it from whatever address i want, but it's not _really_ from them (i.e. change the display name and the reply-to and you are "sending" from that person)...if you look at the full mail headers you'll see it coming from another server that is not your own...

and people will use your address in spam - it's gonna happen. not much you can do about it unfortunately. note also that spammers send mail to you from you to do just what happened - junk filters typically don't block mail from the users themselves, so that's how they get around the filters...

sitruc

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]