FORUMS: list search recent posts

Download Button

COW Forums : Web Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeff KelleyDownload Button
by on Oct 10, 2008 at 5:34:27 pm

I am looking for some html code to create a button for auto-downloading a file. I've found a few on the internet but none of them seem to work right.

I just need a bit of code so when the user clicks the botton, a file is downloaded to there computer, while the page they are one stays there.

Return to posts index

Curtis ThompsonRe: Download Button
by on Oct 10, 2008 at 5:48:40 pm

it depends on the file that you're downloading - if it's a file that the browser won't know what to do with (zip, etc.), then you can just do something like this:

however, note on the 2nd word doc link - if you click that in anything but ie, you'll get the same download dialog as the zip...however in ie (if you have office installed), it will open inline in the browser, which is what you don't want...

so if you have a file that you want to download that the browser knows, you'll have to do a separate php file that streams the content in a mime type that the browser is guaranteed to not know, which is application/octet-stream...this is a more complex solution, though, so here's hoping that you can just the zip example above...

Return to posts index

Jeff KelleyRe: Download Button
by on Oct 10, 2008 at 6:26:49 pm

THis is a site for a 3D graphics program. The site offers free download of 3D artwork (.car files) that the user can download for free and use for there own purposes.

Right now I have a click here link but the user would have to left click, or option-click on a mac. I'd just like to make it simpler, to aviod confusion.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved