FORUMS: list search recent posts

Click-to-play placeholder frame-- is it better?

COW Forums : Web Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
William Carr
Click-to-play placeholder frame-- is it better?
on Sep 11, 2008 at 6:45:42 am

To embed a Quicktime in a web page, I first created a Quicktime movie file with autoplay setting off, and I set autoplay to "false" and controller to "true" in the embed/object codes. But when testing in my browser, the movie autoplayed anyway.

I discovered my Quicktime player prefs had "Automatically play movies when opened" checked. Unchecking it made the difference. Since that setting is a function of the visitor's computer, it doesn't seem like I can avoid the movie autoplaying for all visitors.

My goal is to embed a Quicktime movie in a page and NOT have it play automatically, but begin loading in the background while the visitor reads a title graphic; even 10 or so seconds can make a difference in the choke factor.

[BTW, the page I'm talking about is not a home page, it would be a requested page to play a specific video, so the visitor would expect a download/buffer to occur when they ask that page to load.]

I've read many recommendations to use a click-to-play placeholder frame as a src parameter for an embedded Quicktime movie.
Is this a solution to:
(1) allow background loading of the movie until clicked
(2) circumvent the visitor's Quicktime Player autoplay setting

Thanks for listening!

Return to posts index

Abraham Chaffin
Re: Click-to-play placeholder frame-- is it better?
on Sep 11, 2008 at 8:53:23 pm

[William Carr] "I've read many recommendations to use a click-to-play placeholder frame as a src parameter for an embedded Quicktime movie.
Is this a solution to:
(1) allow background loading of the movie until clicked
(2) circumvent the visitor's Quicktime Player autoplay setting "

(1) Having a click-to-play placeholder doesn't allow the background loading of the movie - the movie that is played when the placeholder is clicked on is the only movie loaded until it is clicked.

(2) This does however circumvent the autoplay setting as the initial video is autoplayed but the other video that must be clicked to initiated does not play.

Abraham

Return to posts index

William Carr
on Sep 11, 2008 at 9:14:14 pm

Well, that's half the battle! Thank you for the expertise.

Return to posts index

Abraham Chaffin
on Sep 11, 2008 at 9:18:01 pm

If you want a how-to - check out this article:
http://library.creativecow.net/articles/chaffin_abraham/embedding-quicktime...

Abraham

Return to posts index

William Carr
on Sep 11, 2008 at 9:58:34 pm

That's exactly the article I read prior to posting, it's a perfect step-by-step and what I will use to make it happen. It's just that I didn't fully grasp the principle of the thing, until you explained.

Thank you!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]