FORUMS: list search recent posts

slideshow script is all crazy.

COW Forums : Web Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Emily Carmichael
slideshow script is all crazy.
on Aug 30, 2008 at 2:03:50 am

Hello! I don't have super much web experience but I built a portfolio page for my photographer friend, using a slideshow script from dynamicdrive.com .... trouble is, I think the script wants to preload all the pictures, (which is good) but until it preloads them all they appear very, very small.... any ideas for a fix? Page is here: http://www.tamarareichberg.com/weddings/weddings.html

Also if you're getting married anytime soon you should e-mail her, she's a genius.

Thanks!
Emily

Return to posts index

Curtis Thompson
Re: slideshow script is all crazy.
on Aug 30, 2008 at 5:10:55 pm

hello...

i didn't try this in ie, but safari had them very small. firefox worked, though - your culprit is here:

document.write('')

i would put a fixed pixel width and height for the images or just not include a width tag at all - safari doesn't like that as it stands, but sans width and height tags, it should show ok...

hope that helps!

sitruc

Return to posts index

Emily Carmichael
on Aug 31, 2008 at 7:31:04 am

Hi thanks so much! So that took care of the small image problem. The whole thing takes a while to load, but hopefully she can get her file sizes down....

Can I ask you something, though? How would you do this, if you were me? Because it's really nice to have the liquid width, but on the other hand, the tall photos are really annoying when they extend way past the window. Also--liquid width doesn't seem to be working so well. But you know what I mean? It looks kinda funny when you resize the window.

Thaaanks!

Return to posts index

Curtis Thompson
on Aug 31, 2008 at 4:29:40 pm

hello...

[Emily Carmichael] "Can I ask you something, though? How would you do this, if you were me? Because it's really nice to have the liquid width, but on the other hand, the tall photos are really annoying when they extend way past the window. "

if i were you, i would work with the images ahead of time to get them all at the same max width and/or max height - that way, they all end up in the same place and the controls don't move around. it looks like here, for example, that you applied a fixed img height attribute:

document.write('')

what that will do is force both the width and height - so for 001.jpg (which is 900x627), it will show at 870-something x 600, and your 2nd picture (which is 900x600) will show at just that - 900x600. but, like you noted, that creates for layout hiccups...

if you have that height forced, i would take each image in photoshop and make sure that it is no taller than 600 pixels (and even better, make sure that all the horizontal images are 900x600 and all the vertical ones are N (you decide) x 600 high) - that way, they will all show at the same size and the controls won't move around...

does that make sense? sorry - it's early on a sunday and i'm not yet full of coffee...

sitruc

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]