FORUMS: list search recent posts

I web problems

COW Forums : Web Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeff MackI web problems
by on Jul 16, 2008 at 3:47:33 pm

http://www.mckinneyontheweb.com

I built this site with IWeb. I have a lot of links on my home page to connect to other pages within. There are about 20 pages total. I am using tables made by inserting text boxes, then adding text, then duplicating, then changing text and so on. Then I arrange the text boxes how I want them. Now my page loads extremely SLOW! I was told that there are too many images.

How should I have done this? Add 1 text box and then typed words in the box and then hperlink the text? Anyway, any help is appreciated.

Jeff

Return to posts index

Curtis ThompsonRe: I web problems
by on Jul 16, 2008 at 3:49:40 pm

hello...

did you look at my response to your last post on your site? you had over 1mb of images and dozens of absolutely placed divs that i suspect are a big part of the problem...

sitruc

Return to posts index

Jeff MackRe: I web problems
by on Jul 16, 2008 at 4:00:15 pm

Yes I saw it. I am not hosting this on a .mac but on a network solutions. I still don't know how I SHOULD have done this page. How do you add links without doing it the way I did? How should I reduce the images? I've seen a lot of pages that look a lot more complicated than mine. I searched web optimizers and tried one. When I uploaded the pages after, it was all garbled.

Jeff

Return to posts index

by on Jul 16, 2008 at 4:12:51 pm

hello...

[Jeff Mack] "I am not hosting this on a .mac but on a network solutions"

never mentioned .mac? all i tossed out was that you might have a slower isp - it happens, and it's debugging when i have zero information. if you are on network solutions then that's probably not the culprit.

[Jeff Mack] " How do you add links without doing it the way I did?"

you can use tables, etc. - lots of ways. it's beyond the scope of this post to document all of them, but if you are using a wysiwyg like iweb then you might want to also try things like dreamweaver, etc. - for an explanation on tables, you can look at:

http://www.w3schools.com/html/html_tables.asp

[Jeff Mack] "How should I reduce the images?"

you have to understand how to use the image tools that you used to create the images. png files are ultimately much larger, so you should try to save those in gif or jpg format if possible. also, try reducing the number of colors in gifs and compression in jpgs. also consider using less images - for example, in your center businesses coming soon section, you have each item as an (on average) 4kb png image - that adds up to around 150kb of images absolutely placed over a 180kb background - that alone is way over what should be your maximum kb total for an average page. you can easily make those individual png images into a table with html and plain text that would probably be 1kb - 2kb of text...much faster.

[Jeff Mack] "I searched web optimizers and tried one."

you can't optimize this sort of thing. you need to do the work yourself to reduce the image count and image size - that's the culprit, and that's the best place to start...

sitruc

Return to posts index

by on Jul 16, 2008 at 4:28:51 pm

Thanks for your fast comment. I need to get my site functioning quickly so getting another web program (although needed for more functionality)will have to wait. Do you think if I change the concept of inserting text boxes and linking them to creating my own buttons as jpgs and hyperlinking them would be any better or is that just trading problems?

Return to posts index

by on Jul 16, 2008 at 4:37:41 pm

[Jeff Mack] "Do you think if I change the concept of inserting text boxes and linking them to creating my own buttons as jpgs and hyperlinking them would be any better or is that just trading problems?"

if the jpgs are smaller than the current png images it will help. but i really can't stress it enough - 95% of your site is graphics, and most of them just don't need to be that - they can be plain text in html - for example:

http://www.mckinneyontheweb.com/Home_files/shapeimage_8.png

make that a box with text in html - but if you have to keep it as an img, make it a gif - the png is 52kb, and a gif of that could be 10% of that file size probably...

simply put - get rid of the large images. png files are nice for some things, but not everything...

sitruc

Return to posts index

by on Jul 16, 2008 at 4:50:00 pm

Ok that makes total sense. I know this is out of the scope of this forum, but can you give me a down and dirty explanation of how to create a box with plain text html like you suggest I do?

Thanks for your help.

Jeff

Return to posts index

by on Jul 16, 2008 at 4:57:48 pm

hello...

i've never used iweb, so i cannot guide you in that application - if they don't offer the ability to put html text in a box in place of an image, then you might have to take some time to pick up another app or get much more in depth with iweb to figure it out... :-/

the short term fix if you have to have your site live is to stop using the larger png format graphics. i assume you made those, yes? if so, save them as optimized gifs or jpgs instead of png and replace them in your page - i have seen over 400kb of png images that quite honestly could be 10-20kb of gifs - that alone would speed up your site loading times dramatically...

sitruc

Return to posts index

by on Jul 16, 2008 at 5:00:16 pm

Thanks so much

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]