FORUMS: list search recent posts

Page loading speed

COW Forums : Web Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeff MackPage loading speed
by on Jul 14, 2008 at 4:49:46 pm

I have just uploaded an update to my page. It is at It is a video portal. Basically if you want to know something in my town about a retailer, you would use the search and click on a 1-2 minute video about the business. I use IWeb to do this. All of the company videos are on individual pages so they don't load until they are clicked on. The home page takes SOOO long to load and I don't know what to do to fix it. Also the formatting changes. When I look at the page after I FTP it to the site, it looks fine on my macbook pro - just like I laid it out and it's pretty fast. When I turn around and use my pc to look at the page, it loads really slow and the formatting (positioning) is all screwed up. I used a web friendly font but I can't understand what to do to fix this. I haven't launched the page yet but I need to quickly.

Anyone shed some light?

Return to posts index

Curtis ThompsonRe: Page loading speed
by on Jul 14, 2008 at 10:39:02 pm

the difference between pc and mac is hard to address here - ie on windows has a lot of differences from firefox or safari (on either platform) - i don't know specifically what was off for you between the two, but there really isn't a secret to making it work other than trying stuff out and working with it on both platforms as you go... :-/

as for speed - i downloaded the package of your home page and it was 1mb - that's a lot of images and text and everything to make a user download. if your isp is slower, it's even worse. you would typically want to be at no more than 20% of that total (so around 200kb) - one of your paper backgrounds alone was nearly that...

best bet is to try to optimize and reduce your graphical count - again no magic solution, but if you do that it should greatly help load time. you also have a ton of absolutely positioned elements on the page - there's no hard data that says that makes things slower, but it does make the dom work harder to put and keep everything in a pixel-specific location...

hope that helps a bit!

Return to posts index

Sapphire ParkerRe: Page loading speed
by on Aug 6, 2008 at 3:48:06 pm

Its working fine here...and I am checking it on a Desktop PC.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved